Top Tip: Pre-cut interfacing strips

If you make alot of waistbands or button plackets, you may like this! (That is if you’re not already doing it!)

You know those fiddly little tasks in sewing ? The ones that make you go “ugh” and slump your shoulders when you reach that point in  make? Well cutting long narrow strips out of floaty lightwieght interfacing is one of those for me. Specifically we’re talking waistbands and button plackets. Invariably my sheet of interfacing is an odd wonky shape from where I have cut out pieces for previous projects. And I’ll have oddments of interfacing that are too small to be of use but will come in handy “one day”. Which I find  quite  messy and a little bit wasteful (as I probably won’t end up using those pieces anyway), and makes it tricky to find the right spot to cut your piece of interfacing from.

It occurred to me when I was cutting some interfacing for  a waistband the other day….why not cut a whole lot of it in one go?
Sewing tip pre cut your interfacing stripsI generally cut the same width of waistband on every make as I have found a width that is comfy on me. So I always need the same width of interfacing. So I just cut a load extra and rolled it onto an empty masking tape roll to store for future use.

Easiest way to do it for me was to fold my interfacing several times and mark out my strips in the right width….then cut…and you have multiple strips ready for future projects…and no waste!Sewing tip pre cut your interfacing strips

Sewing tip pre cut your interfacing strips

Makes me wonder if there is a product like this already out there? Rolls of interfacing strips in various weights. Like wundaweb but only sticky on one side? In any case…I won’t have to be faffing with interfacing strips for a while 🙂Sewing tip pre cut your interfacing strips

1. Ingrid W March 20, 2017

Thou art the queen of practical advise. This is great.

2. poppy stitches March 20, 2017

what a brilliant idea!

3. Laura March 20, 2017

In the Netherlands you can actually buy this in different widths! There are also versions that make it easier to fold it in half, so both of your waistbands (inner and outer) are interfaced in one go =D

4. Lesley March 20, 2017

Oh yes, great idea! And something you can do while your brain might be comfuzzled due to an illness or boredom too!

5. katie March 20, 2017

Great idea! Yeah, this does exist, you can even buy it with dashed marks for fold lines… http://www.plushaddict.co.uk/vilene-waist-shaper-interfacing-iron-on-charcoal-1m-x-9cm.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=CK6-lpKN5tICFcWVGwodlLoNlA

6. Jenny Bowman March 21, 2017

What a great idea! I shall certainly do this as I’m always making skirts for myself and my daughter. And yes Katie I have used that product a lot, but I find it a bit narrow particularly on anything thicker than cotton fabric!

7. Grace April 2, 2017

I bought some vintage waistband tape with boning that stops your waistband folding over. Magic stuff! Great post thank you, all for time saving stuff.

8. Jamie April 3, 2017

For those in the US: http://www.wawak.com/Light-weight-Woven-Fusible-50-yds-x-2-Polyester-Interfacing

• Portia Lawrie April 10, 2017