The Refashioners 2016: Now, let’s talk about YOU…

The Refashioners 2016

Soooo, now we’ve all had a chance to digest the awesome month of inspiration we have in store in August. Let’s get down to talking about what this challenge is really about & how to get involved.

It’s about refashioning . It’s about getting you to try refashioning if you’ve never tried it before. And if you’re a seasoned refashioner already, it’s about giving you a platform to share what you do so you can inspire others to give it a try too. Why? Because refashioning is bloody brilliant on so many levels. What you learn about garment construction. The way it makes you think outside the box, let go of the outcome and allow things to evolve. It’s cost effective. It’s often quick. (But not always, lol!). It’s environmentally sound. Oh yeah, and you get to turn something that you don’t wear, into something that you do wear. It’s that simple. That’s all The Refashioners is about.  Waving very energetically at everyone out there and going “oi, you lot out there! Yes, you! Look over here and come and try this. It’s brilliant and I think you’ll really enjoy it!” That’s it. That’s the aim.

So what’s the deal with those really awesome bloggers that are generously lending their time, creativity and support to “the cause”? Let me explain why they’re here. They are the aperitif at this party. There to whet your appetite with ideas and inspiration. YOU lot,  however, are the main event. You’re the people I’m trying to get to with this by waving all these well known bloggers in your face and saying, through them,  “just LOOK at what is possible with Refashioning!! Give this a try! ” I absolutely cannot wait to share their makes with you, and my intention, and my hope is, that they will inspire you to look at Refashioning in a new light, and give it a try.Refashioners 2016 - Line Up

And if all the inspiration that’s coming over the next few weeks is not QUITE enough to get you trying this, then there’s the little matter of the HUGE prize package I’ve been working on over the past few months. Oh yes, it’s MASSIVE.  But I am going to tantalise you with that for juuuust a little bit longer. (Hint: It’s much bigger than last years!)  I’ll be announcing full details of that in a separate post. Yep, there’s that much of it 😉 For now let’s talk about the challenge itself…

So. What exactly IS this year’s Refashioners challenge. Well, it’s about these things….jeans!

The Refashioners 2016

Now, if my experience of jeans is anywhere near typical, then MOST of us have pairs of jeans in our drawers and wardrobes/closets that we simply just don’t wear. Am I right?? The search for the holy grail of jeans, ( well fitting, comfortable and stylish) is inevitably littered with candidates that failed to make the grade. They may have fitted well in the fitting room, but failed to stand up to the realities of everyday wear. (Muffin top, bad stretch recovery, shrinkage and builders bum…I’m looking at you!) Our shape, size or tastes may have changed. (Right now I’m looking at my 7 year old, my crisp stash and the bootcuts in my bottom drawer). In any case, you get the picture.

The question is, what to do with them? Well, that is your challenge. To turn those jeans that you don’t wear, into something that you do wear (or use). Simple as that….so  here’s the skinny (excuse the pun)….The Refashioners 2016

The Brief:

• The theme is Jeans only: (Not denim jackets, skirts, shirts etc) Because the specific challenge with this is the scarcity of fabric and all the hardware and heavy seaming you’ll need to work around. The majority of your finished project must have come from the source garment (ie your jeans). Other than that anything goes. Use additional fabric and haberdashery to your hearts content, as long as you turn them from something you don’t wear, into something you do wear…or use,  ok?! 🙂
  • The challenge is open to everyone: Anyone, of any age, from any part of the world is invited to take on this challenge. You do not need to have a blog. But if you want to be in with a chance of winning the prize, you will need either an Instagram, Facebook or Pinterest account in order to share your make(s). Otherwise, feel free to just play along 🙂
  • The Prize: There will be 2 prizes this year. One overall winner and one “special recognition” prize. The standard was just so high last year it became clear one prize was not enough. The prizes will be predominantly physical items of a sewing related nature and will be posted to the winner(s) directly once they have been selected. The bloggers in the official blogger line up are not entered into the prize element of the challenge.
  • When is it?: The challenge launches on 1st August and runs until 30th Sept. Any garments shared using the official Instagram hashtags, or on the official facebook and pinterest groups will be entered into the competition and be in with a chance of winning . Details of those hashtags/groups will be included in next week’s post regarding the prize package
  • The Winner(s): The winner(s) will be selected by myself, the blogger line up and sponsors of the prize package. We will be looking at factors like ingenuity, creativity practicality, and overall finish. It doesn’t have to be complex to be clever ok?! So don’t be put off if you’re relatively new. Last year’s winner had only been sewing a few months!

The Refashioners 2016

So, what happens between now and August? Well, next week I’ll let you in on the deets of that amazing prize package and share all the different ways you can enter to win it. I’ll be sharing some inspiration posts between now and then too. So keep an eye out for those. Then you’ll have a whole month of inspiration/ideas from our bloggers in August. From there, you’ll have until the end of September to submit you makes in order to win that prize I was talking about 😉

In the meantime, get rummaging in those drawers/wardrobes/closets. Dig out all those old jeans that you (or your other half/brother/sister/mum/dad) no longer wear (or grab some off the bargain rail at the local charity shop/thrift store) and start plotting people. This is gonna be BIG! I cannot wait!!The Refashioners 2016

1. Barbara July 7, 2016

Love your blog!
    And Americans call jeans “jeans”, not Jean pants;)

• Portia Lawrie July 8, 2016

Hi Barbara! Ah ok! I just had some people ask me whether it was just jean pants or any kind of jeans meaning jean jackets, shirts etc. (Jeans here never mean anything other than that) So I thought I’d clarify. I may edit that then. Thanks for the heads up!

• angela July 9, 2016

Oh, we interchange jean with denim, jean jacket and denim jacket are the same, but the pants are still jeans. My only refashion at this point would be to cut a waistband off and add a stretchy maternity panel.

2. Meredith July 7, 2016

May we submit more than one item!

• Portia Lawrie July 8, 2016

Absolutely! As nany as you like!

3. Bobbi July 9, 2016

I just made a book bag/ messenger out of some of my boyfriend’s worn jeans! I should have waited a little longer. I’m sure I can come up with another project – we have plenty of jeans to use.

4. Mel July 9, 2016

I am really looking forward to this! A refashioner at heart, I’ve been upcycling clothing and linens since around the mid 90’s. It all started because my kids wanted halloween costumes that I couldn’t find in the stores and I found a blanket at the thrift store for very cheap that would work for the fabric for one of them. That started it all. I’ve been turning unwanted, out-of-fashion, stained / ripped / etc clothing and linens into all sorts of things since then. I’ll admit, I have a bit of a fiber problem. LOL I don’t want to even try to count the number of huge bags full of clothing and linens I purchased to upcycle. That’s not including my actual fabric stash. As fellow refashioners know, it’s not like going to the fabric store and picking out everything at the same time. You come across an amazing piece that you can just see what you want to make from it so clearly. Great! Now the problem is that you have to wait to find other pieces to create that item. Luckily, I believe I have all the needed components to make my idea turn to reality. 🙂

5. Gail Felker July 9, 2016

Can’t wait! I’ve been looking forward to this year’s competition. I know exactly what I’ll make…

6. Melanie July 15, 2016

Im excited. Ive got a few projects in my pkt 😉. Like the mel above i have boxes of jeans and mens shirts ready for my upcycling projects. I even have an old wedding dress and train to upcycle into something when the idea hits me. So very excited about the jeans upcycle.

7. Pam July 15, 2016

Is there a place to sign up?

• Portia Lawrie July 23, 2016

No sign up required Pam! Look out for a post next week detailing all the ways you can share your makes(s) 🙂

8. Rebecca July 20, 2016

Do the jeans have to be blue denim, or can the printed colour jeans or plain colour jeans be used? Thanks in advance!

9. Rebecca July 20, 2016

Not sure if my questions saved, so apologies if i’ve asked it twice- can coloured or printed jeans be used, or just blue denim? Cheers!

• Portia Lawrie July 23, 2016

Aaaaany kind of jeans yes! Go for it!

10. Miss Amy July 31, 2016

Do they need to be your jeans as in can they be second hand from ebay or a charity shop?

• Portia Lawrie July 31, 2016

Anyone’s jeans….just ask permission first 😉

11. Jenny Beal August 3, 2016

Looking forward to taking part in this challenge. Question: Can the item be made from more than one pair of jeans? Thanks. Jenny B

• Portia Lawrie August 3, 2016

Yep. Many as you need 🙂

12. Nadine August 3, 2016

I got a pair of Levi’s jeans dungarees – they aren’t your classical jeans, but with all the usual hardware and seaming. Could I enter the competition using these?

• Portia Lawrie August 3, 2016

Yeah I should think so Nadine. Still jean’s. Just with a bib right??

• Nadine August 3, 2016

Yes, exactly! Thank you, Portia 🙂

13. Lizzie August 4, 2016

Hello, I just wondered if you could use more than one pair of old jeans per entry? 🙂

• Portia Lawrie August 4, 2016

Yes you can 😊👍

14. Kirsty August 19, 2016

This sounds fun, can we use parts of a pattern to create this or does it have to be 100% original?

• Portia Lawrie August 19, 2016

You can do whatever it takes to get you there 😊👌

15. Ivana August 20, 2016

Wow! How exiting!!! Now to dig all that hidden jeans 🙂

16. Michelle September 7, 2016

I love this! One question, though. Can you make something for someone else to wear (like your kids)? Or does it have to be something for yourself?
    ~Michelle

• Portia Lawrie September 8, 2016

Absolutely anything Michelle 🙂

17. Jewel September 20, 2016

Just read of your blog. Please put me on your list to receive posts. Thank You

• Michelle September 26, 2016

Hi Jewel- Your reply came to me, so I am assuming you are interested in following my blog (if not, please disregard). There are a few ways you can do this. Hop on over: http://www.falafelandthebee.com/
      and you can sign up for my newsletter, or follow me on Bloglovin’ (which are on the right side). Thanks for your interest!
      ~Michelle