The Refashioners 2015: and the winner is…..

I seriously cannot overstate just HOW difficult it has been to arrive at this decision! There has been so much creativity and ingenuity that I wish I had a multitude of prize packages to give away! There is a caveat to this. Which you’ll come to further down. But for now…without further ado…meet this years winner of The Refashioners 2015 “Get Shirty” Community Challenge….

Mirjam Liechti

When I first saw these trousers my jaw literally dropped. When you have lots of fabric to work with there’s a degree of flexibility in what you can do. Margin for error too. But to eek a pair of trousers out of a shirt; with all the fitting nuances we all know are involved? Well that requires gutsy vision, precision and a whole different kind of creativity…THE REFASHIONERS 2015 - YOUR MAKES (6)

The way in which Mirjam has retained the original essence of this shirt and her use of practically every last piece in details like the ankle cuffs (the original shirt cuffs) and the matching braces and button tabs is super clever. But it’s subtle too. What’s more, I get the sense that this really is a reflection of her style and personal aesthetic; which surely is one of the best kinds of motivation for refashioning and sewing our own clothes!

This was Mirjam’s first make for The Refashioners. Again, clever but subtle reuse of the cuffs at the waistband. And here’s the kicker…Mirjam is a beginner sewer! Having taken up sewing little more than a year ago Mirjam says she has discovered her passion. So much so that she has given up a career as a qualified teacher (!) to work part time in sales so she can attend the Swiss College of Textiles where she started a month ago and will be training for the next two years. All of which ramps up just how impressive this is and for me, is indicative of someone who has a natural talent for creative sewing that should surely be encouraged. She has pretty much promised me that she is going to start a blog in the not too distant future (I for one shall be following that with interest! One to watch I’d say. You know when you get the sense you could be witnessing the start of something awesome?  That’s what my gut tells me about this lady!) But in the meantime…you can keep up with Mirjam here 🙂the refashioners 2015 - your makes

And now for that caveat!

Lisa Poblenz

Lisa blogs over at Pattern & Branch and for a long time I literally could not decide between these two. This make by Lisa is SERIOUSLY awesome, involved a lot of work on her part and is deserving of some recognition. You should go check out the process. Seriously!

I promoted this community challenge as having one prize package and one winner. And I felt I should honour that. But had I had two prize packages to award, this would have been it. So with Mirjam’s permission I peeled off a little something from that immense prize package for Lisa; and she will be receiving the trio of Megan Nielsen patterns. Seriously. Awesome. Skills.The Refashioners 2015 - your makes (3)

So that’s that. All of these awesome prizes (bar the caveat above) will be winging their way to Mirjam very shortly…..

The Refashioners 2015 Awesome Prize Package

And that rounds up this years series of The Refashioners. It’s been so amazing. The blogger challenge was phenomenal and just when I thought it couldn’t get any better, in comes the community challenge and blows us all away again! The community challenge will now become a permanent element of The Refashioners series, and yes, I’m already putting together the bones of next year’s series! ( we’re gonna need more prize packages). I think it’s fair to say that men’s wardrobes/closets are a little less safe today than they were a few weeks ago…sorry chaps! (Not!) Please please please keep refashioning and looking at the fabric that you have at your fingertips before consigning it to landfill or abandonment 😉 Until next year people, this is The Refashioners 2015….signing off.

refashion_6copy 900

1. Anna Marie October 2, 2015

Well done. All entries were excellent. I believe this was a difficult choice but one well made. Bravo to all.

2. Linda October 2, 2015

Wow! These 2 refashions are so clever and awesome! No wonder you couldn’t choose between them. Congratulations to them both! I have bought a man’s shirt to refashion, but haven’t had a go yet. Now I am really inspired!

3. Lena October 2, 2015

I think that this is an excellent choice, I would have decided for those pants as well! Congratulations to Mirjam and have a lot of fun with the amazing price pack!

Lena

4. Jane October 2, 2015

Absolutely the right choice for a winner! Mirjam’s trousers are just brilliant! What a talent. Lisa’s jacket is also fabulous. Thanks Portia for such an inspiring time.

5. Kate October 2, 2015

Amazing – a well deserved winner! So talented! X

6. Anna October 2, 2015

Congratulations Mirjam and Lisa. Your refashions are awesome and you look so happy and comfy in your trousers Mirjam you can see it has given you great pleasure to sew and wear them. Portia you have made a great and hard choice there is si much fabulousness in this challenge I think everyone has done brilliantly.

7. Helen October 2, 2015

Congratulations to both the winners! Both were very well deserved and so inspiring! I never did get round to doing my refashion, but I certainly have lots of inspiration for when I do find the time. Thanks, Portia, for a great series!

8. Aneta October 2, 2015

Congratulation! Oh I knew this trousers will win, they’re awsome 🙂

9. houseofpinheiro October 2, 2015

All participants done so well and both winners deserve it.

10. Miushka October 2, 2015

Thank you all!!! I am still shaking!!! 😀 I had so much fun taking part and this is – of course – an AWESOME outcome! ;-D Everyone made such great things!! Ok, I’ll try and stop with the exclamation marks now!
    Hey, I still have 4 boyfriend shirts waiting for a refashion, haha! Watch my instagram for updates and yeah, you can count on that blog of mine to appear soon. I wanna show you everything I make with that incredible prize package! 🙂

11. H October 2, 2015

Fantastic!
    I’m not sure I can quite believe how you could get a pair of trousers out of a shirt! what an amazing talent!
    H.

• Miushka October 2, 2015

How about I show you on my future blog? Hehe, yeah, I’ll do my best ?

12. Carmen October 2, 2015

Congratulations Mirjam, the pants were a great refashion feat! Happy Sewing!

13. Hélène October 2, 2015

Creativity at its best. Bravo to both winners for their impressive work! This contest was utterly inspiring, so bravo to Portia too!

14. Mrs Monkey October 2, 2015

So pleased with myself for predicting who the winner would be! 😉 Congratulations to Mirjiam and Lisa, such fantastic pieces, those trousers are just too cool! And thank you so much Portia for initiating this amazing international refashioning buzz! Such a great vibe, so much creativity, such an inspiring challenge. Look forward to next year!

15. Ingrid October 2, 2015

What an achievement Portia!! Super amazing initiative and so much fun to follow. Mirjam was a super worthy winner – can’t believe she squeezed out a pair of trousers from a shirt. Looking forward to next year! xx

16. Sue @ A Colourful Canvas October 2, 2015

OH YES! Those trousers had me at hello!

Well done winners, and…well…everyone!

17. Lisa October 2, 2015

Congratulations Mirjam! Thanks, Portia!

18. Gail Felker October 2, 2015

Those trousers are totally impressive – good choice for a winner and congrats! If you’re open to suggestions for next year… how about several winners? And I’m more impressed with those fashions that did not use a pattern but came out of creativity and skill – instead of using clothing as merely a fabric source.

• Gail Felker October 4, 2015

After thinking more about it, I realized there is a lot of creativity involved in choosing the fabric and the pattern and also skill in executing. Anyway, this was a totally fun challenge and I thank you, Portia, for putting it out there!

19. Ute October 2, 2015

What a fanatastic winner! And you did an amazing job with the series! Thank you so much again for including me! xx

20. Linda Wilson October 3, 2015

Congrats to the winner, I hope she enjoys a lifetime of sewing and fashioning as so many of us seem to! My first time and I thoroughly enjoyed myself and seeing the other creations. Looking forward to the next time!

21. Begum Sen October 5, 2015

Congratulation winners! I missed the deadline but I’m happy to see everybody’s beautiful garments 🙂

22. Nic Hudson October 6, 2015

Aha. I knew if I was jealous of how great something looked and wished I’d done it – it must be good. Well done Mirjam – looking forward to following you in the future! Loved Lisa’s wearable jacket refashion too. (and of course it’s thanks to Portia that we all got to see so much creativity).