The Refashioners 2015 – Ute

How refashioning a shirt can make you feel awesome

The Refashioners 2015 - Ute

Seriously. I don’t even like wearing shirts. Or skirts. Or having my picture taken. But in this outfit I feel awesome and even cool and fashionable. That does not happen very often. Be prepared to see a lot of pics in this post.

The Refashioners 2015 - Ute

To make it a little less boring we took the photos in different locations in the parliamentary district of Berlin, so you are also getting a little tour of one of my favorite spots in the city.

The Refashioners 2015 - Ute

The Refashioners 2015 - UteWhen the lovely Portia invited me to be part of The Refashioners 2015 with a guest post on her blog, I said yes without hesitation. And then I found out who else is part of it this year and nearly fainted. I frantically browsed my “sewing inspiration” pinterest board and surprisingly almost immediately found something I really liked.

The Refashioners 2015 - Ute

source; source
One phone call to my dad later and I even had a white shirt. That actually fit me without any changes and pretty much looked like the perfect white shirt to me. I was very reluctant to cut into it.

The Refashioners 2015 - Ute

As you can see, my modifications were very moderate and at first I was skeptical if it would even classify as a “refashion”.

The Refashioners 2015 - Ute

I simply chopped off the sleeves and free handedly drew a new high low hem line. The new hem was bound with wide satin bias binding which gives it a bit more structure and stability similar to the inspiration shirt. I tried to recreate the collar of the shirt on the right, but in the end liked the original collar better.

The Refashioners 2015 - Ute

Like I mentioned above, I don’t really like wearing skirts. But I had started to secretly covet a midi skirt for a while now.
To recreate the look I used the fabulous Brumby Skirt pattern by Megan Nielsen (which is part of the awesome prize package you can win for sewing along!) in the softest viscose ever (from Anna Ka Bazaar)

The Refashioners 2015 - UteThe Refashioners 2015 - Ute

I could be Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday, right? (image source)

And that´s it! Now go find a shirt and get shirty with us! I already know what my next refashion will be.The Refashioners 2015 - Ute

ute 2Thank you so much Portia, for asking me to be part of The Refashioners! And since I already feel like I have just received an Oscar – a big thank you to my colleague Michael for taking these pictures and thanks for the shirt, Dad!

Ute, thank you so much! I LOVE this! Just goes to show how a few simple changes can turn a shirt into something that is uniquely you, right?! You can find Ute here and here. As she says, the Brumby Skirt pattern by Megan Nielsen is just one of the amazing prizes to be won as part of The Refashioners 2015 Community Challenge. So grab a shirt and get refashioning! You have until Sunday 27th Sept to enter! Stay tuned for more inspiration throughout August!

1. Laura Holland August 3, 2015

Nice simple and effective refashion.

It wouldn’t suit those of us with less balanced figures though.

• portia August 3, 2015

Don’t worry Laura. There’ll be something for everyone in this series 🙂

2. Ingrid August 3, 2015

What an amazing kick-off ! Ute definitely looks like a hipper-than-life movie star x

3. Elsie Pop August 3, 2015

Very cool – I love a high low hemline! xx

4. Marilla walker August 3, 2015

Totally brilliant refashion and I love the simplicity of it! Perfect!

5. Trine August 3, 2015

Ute, you look utterly amazing! I love this look so much.

6. Marie August 3, 2015

Ute’s refashion just goes to show that a light touch can go a long way! I can’t believe what a cool look she’s managed to achieve, by doing so little to the original short…genius!

7. Pips August 3, 2015

Ute, you have totally inspired me to recreate this look! I may even have a shirt in my cupboard that I could do the same refashion with, then add it to a tiny dancer brumby skirt. Love your style and love you!

8. Claire Newton August 3, 2015

Stylish and chic. I think the clean lines of the shirt balances the fullness of the Brumby, also with the length of the shirt versus length of the skirt. It really is an inspiring and thoughtful refashion – can’t wait to see more 🙂

9. Helen August 3, 2015

This is perfect and goes to show you don’t need to much to totally transform a garment. I love this, and it pairs beautifully with the skirt. I wish I had such creativity!

10. Seamsoddlouise August 3, 2015

What a difference those few cuts make. Ute you totally rock this look, really inspiring.

11. Melissa August 3, 2015

Portia, you’ve picked a winner to kick off this fabulous event!

Ute, you’ve done a wonderful job with the refashion. I am sure there will be many copies of this outfit soon, including me! You look fabulous in those photos! Thanks for the inspiration!

12. Sasha August 3, 2015

Brilliant and so fashionable!!! and what can I say about the gorgeous pictures.

13. Chuleenan August 4, 2015

I love it! Finishing with bias tape looks great. The photos are wonderful!

14. Agatha August 4, 2015

J’adore! You’ve inspired me to redo my shirt as well, but mine is a little tight fitting. Hmmm….

• portia August 4, 2015

Ah, well check out Jenny’s refashion…just published 😉 Side gussets is all I’m sayin’ 😉

15. Kat @ House of Lane August 5, 2015

This is so freaking awesome!!! I think it would look really good with some skinny black cigarette style pants too. What great inspiration! I think I will need to dig up some old shirts so I can play along too.

16. Elisalex August 5, 2015

Such a cool look – and one I wish I could pull off! You make it look so effortless, Ute, I love your style!