The Refashioners 2015 – Sasha

Sasha - Fruits Flowers and Clouds - The Refashioners 2015

For me “refashion” does not simply mean recovering the fabric from a garment and making  another garment but also recombining the existing elements to give new life and meaning to an old garment. I’ve always been quite attracted by the styles merging the very masculine with the very feminine so the idea of taking a men’s dress shirt and mixing it with the feminine shape of the victorian underbust corset, as my first refashion was very exciting to me.Sasha - Fruits Flowers and Clouds - The Refashioners 2015

The road was not without bumps. I had no clear view of how to go about it and spells of “I don’t have enough fabric” anxiety.  So here it is: my first refashion and I’m very pleased with the result. I anticipate I’ll be wearing this a lot.

Process outline:

The original shirt – a men’s size 42 dress shirt in cotton twill.Sasha - Fruits Flowers and Clouds - The Refashioners 2015

Take off the collar unit and the cuffs and form a neck dart.

Mirror everything from one side to another ( I used tailors wax tracing paper and a tracing wheel to do so).Sasha - Fruits Flowers and Clouds - The Refashioners 2015

Blend the neckline and trim the excess.

Measure and cut along a line under the bust leaving intact the button placket and including seam allowances.Sasha - Fruits Flowers and Clouds - The Refashioners 2015

Sasha - Fruits Flowers and Clouds - The Refashioners 2015

Pin, measure and cut the sleeves and sides to create a sloping/drop shoulder short sleeve which also has the effect of reducing the overall fullness of the shirt.

Pin a couple of pleats in the sleeve, make a slit and attach the cuffs. Depending on the original shirt size they are potentially going to be smaller than your bicep circumference. I ended up by creating an extension tab with two buttons to close the gap.Sasha - Fruits Flowers and Clouds - The Refashioners 2015

Measure the neckline opening, shorten the original collar stand accordingly and use it to create a mandarin collar.

Sasha - Fruits Flowers and Clouds - The Refashioners 2015

Gather the excess fabric under bust and at the back

Drape a form fitting midsection from a large strip of fabric. Be sure to cut based on the abdomen circ + ease + sa. I mistakenly did not and ended up having to insert some triangles at the sides.Sasha - Fruits Flowers and Clouds - The Refashioners 2015

I pinned also a couple of darts to help shaping the back. I considered doing so for the front also but in the end I decided against it as I prefer it more relaxed. With the remaining fabric from the body and the sleeves create a long strip (under bust circ. + hips circ. times three)…Sasha - Fruits Flowers and Clouds - The Refashioners 2015

…and create 1″ pleats. I used some light fusible interfacing to help hold the pleats because my fabric was too soft and drapey.

Attach a row of pleats and the original shirt tails&hem (reduced in size to fit the waist piece) to the bottom of the waist piece.Sasha - Fruits Flowers and Clouds - The Refashioners 2015

Attach the waist piece to the upper bodice sandwiching in between another row of pleats.Sasha - Fruits Flowers and Clouds - The Refashioners 2015

Attach the waist piece to the button placket. Trim the button placket and close the hem! Done!Sasha - Fruits Flowers and Clouds - The Refashioners 2015Sasha - Fruits Flowers and Clouds - The Refashioners 2015

Thank you again to Portia for inviting me. When she asked me to join the stellar cast of this year’s Refashioners I must admit I felt a bit scared.  Honored but scared. First I never did a refashion before and second have you seen the heavy talent she enrolled!!!

Talent that includes you Sasha! Wow! Hard to believe Sasha’s never refashioned before. But this is exactly why I’ll often approach sewers who don’t refashion to be part of the blogger challenge. You just get a fresher take on things that way. One of the biggest aims of The Refashioners is to show refashioning in a different light. That as well as it’s eco credentials,  it can be creative, edgy, modern, individual and uber cool. Think I just aptly described Sasha’s refashion there don’t you? Job done then!

You can find Sasha here and here. We are almost at the end of a month of  refashion inspiration and ideas!  Next week sees the community challenge element gather pace and don’t forget amazing prizes to be won as part of The Refashioners 2015 Community Challenge.  So get involved for a chance to win!!! Grab a shirt and get refashioning! You have until Sunday 27th Sept to enter

1. Claire August 26, 2015

lovely idea. It is such a flattering refashion.

2. Marilla walker August 26, 2015

Fantastic, unique, amazing…should I go on? Love it sasha, you have such an amazing sense of style! X

• Sasha August 27, 2015

Thank you Marilla coming from an artist like yourself means a lot! x

3. Helen S August 26, 2015

This is a really top class refashion. You started with a bog standard plain men’s shirt and made it feminine and special. Keeping the continuity of the button placket and adding the pleats is particularly effective. Step forward a new refashioning superstar.

• Sasha August 27, 2015

awww I don’t know about refashioning superstar Helen … I think I will stick to creating “from scratch” for the moment 🙂 xo

4. Annika August 26, 2015

Oh Sasha, my friend. You are simply incredible. That refashion turned out soooo good! Wow. You certainly look like a model. Bellissima!

• Sasha August 27, 2015

and you my friend are too kind 🙂 :-*

5. Deb Cameron August 26, 2015

I love love love this!!

6. Jane August 26, 2015

Mornings will be a lot less exciting when we no longer have these amazing Refashions to look forward to each day! I think Sasha’s might just be my favourite. It is brilliant.

• Sasha August 27, 2015

Thank you so much Jane! and yeah it has been a great series – Portia did an amazing job … I can’t wait to see her refashion tomorrow!

• portia August 27, 2015

Erm….in the interests of managing expectations Sasha….it’s not as intricate as your masterpiece, lol!

7. Kate Carvalho August 26, 2015

Taking refashioning to the next level!!!

8. sonja August 26, 2015

This looks amazing. Love this!!! Unique, stylish, one of a kind.

• Sasha August 27, 2015

thank you so much Sonja !

9. Linda L August 26, 2015

Great looking refashioned blouse!! Thanks for the step by step how to.

• Sasha August 27, 2015

Thank you for stopping by 🙂 !

10. michele August 26, 2015

this is my favourite refashion so far. very clever and very beautiful. outstanding work sasha!

• Sasha August 27, 2015

Thank you Michele I’m really glad you like it!

11. Patti August 26, 2015

WOW! This is an eye-popping refashion – so beautiful and classic – it looks like something for which you would pay $$$$$. I can see you wearing this for years!!

• Sasha August 27, 2015

I think I will Patti … it does feel very high street 🙂

12. Hélène August 26, 2015

What an amazing refashion! I particularily love what you did with the sleeves. And the whole result is so soft and feminine. Great job!

• Sasha August 27, 2015

I was not so sure about the sleeves as I was cutting, there was a bit of a bet involved there … but as it turns out it paid off … they work!

13. Karen August 26, 2015

Beautiful refashion!

14. Anne August 28, 2015

Wow!! I love this!! I’ve got a Craft Gossip post scheduled for this afternoon that links to your tutorial: http://sewing.craftgossip.com/?p=84186 –Anne

15. Margo August 28, 2015

Your refashion is stunning! One of the best I have seen. Well done!!!

16. FreeUrCloset August 28, 2015

Amazing idea! I simply love the feminine touch you created with the pleating. I will give this a try when I have sewing time 🙂
    xo Natasha

17. Nicoletta August 30, 2015

Sasha, it’s amazing!!!! I would buy it, like right now! You did a great job, honey!!! My compliments again!!!!

18. Kat @ House of Lane September 3, 2015

OMG this is awesome!!! Sasha you are one very clever lady.

19. Sew2pro September 8, 2015

A beautiful shirt which would perfectly complement an hourglass figure. And hardly a trace of masculinity of the old and plain shirt.

Thanks for the detailed instructions.