The Refashioners 2015 – Marie

A STITCH ODYSSEY - MARIE - THE REFASHIONERS 2015

Although refashioning is not a natural instinct or skill of mine, there was no way I could pass up Portia’s exciting invitation to take part in The Refashioners 2015! I had so much fun being super adventurous last time, and it felt good to push myself out of my comfort zone. This year, however, I took a slightly different approach which involved ticking off another #vintagepledge make off my list. There’s still plenty of time to sign up by the way, with some great prizes up for grabs!A STITCH ODYSSEY - MARIE - THE REFASHIONERS 2015

First came the shirt, of course. I chose to pick my own this year and I was over the moon when I found this 100% linen Boden shirt for a mere £4.50 in a local charity shop. It was in tip top condition and although I’m not usually a huge fan of pink, this shade of blush really appealed to me.

I wanted the fabric to sing and I also wanted to end up with a classic wardrobe staple. So I turned to 1950s Simplicity 4656…A STITCH ODYSSEY - MARIE - THE REFASHIONERS 2015

…and the rest as they say… is history…

First, I took apart my shirt, taking extra care when unpicking the breast pocket. I didn’t want any unsightly rips to scupper my plans.A STITCH ODYSSEY - MARIE - THE REFASHIONERS 2015

Instead of following the pattern’s instructions for a side zip, I really wanted to utilise the shirt’s buttons for some cute detail. So I cut out my back pattern piece on the folded shirt front and my front pattern piece on the folded shirt back.A STITCH ODYSSEY - MARIE - THE REFASHIONERS 2015A STITCH ODYSSEY - MARIE - THE REFASHIONERS 2015

Instead of facings to finish my neckline and armholes, I used stripy bias binding for an extra pop of interest.A STITCH ODYSSEY - MARIE - THE REFASHIONERS 2015

I finished the hemline in the same way and I must say, I really love the result! Pink and navy is such a chic combination and the cherry on top of course, were the matching buttons I stumbled upon on ebay.  A STITCH ODYSSEY - MARIE - THE REFASHIONERS 2015A STITCH ODYSSEY - MARIE - THE REFASHIONERS 2015

Compared to the creativity of my fellow refashioners, my simple blouse may seem a little humble…A STITCH ODYSSEY - MARIE - THE REFASHIONERS 2015

But I’m so happy that I now have a go-to, chic blouse in my wardrobe. Thank you so much again Portia, for encouraging me (and many others) to think outside the box!

Nothing humble about that Marie! Such a feminine silhouette and classically vintage. Can’t you just picture that with one of Marie’s full circle skirts and those killer eyeliner flicks she does?! I’m totally with you on the striped bias and buttons too. In fact, making your own bias tape from stripe shirts will give you some great directional stripe play . And of course finding linen meterage in the charity shop for £4.50? Well….nuff said!

You can find Marie here and here. Marie has also very generously  delved into her own personal pattern stash to add to the prize package!!  Take a look at ALL the amazing prizes to be won as part of The Refashioners 2015 Community Challenge. So get involved for a chance to win!!! Grab a shirt and get refashioning! You have until Sunday 27th Sept to enter! Stay tuned for more inspiration throughout the WHOLE of August!

1. Marilla walker August 11, 2015

Super cute! Such a nice surprise on the back and the buttons and binding are the best touch. Love this!

• Marie August 11, 2015

Thanks Marilla, really glad you think so too!

2. sonja August 11, 2015

It looks great. The pink fabric is lovely and binding and the buttons on the back gives it the right retro look. Well done.

• Marie August 11, 2015

Thank you, it really lived up to my vision, which doesn’t always work out!

3. Elisalex August 11, 2015

Adorable! And so perfectly you. I’m loving the colour on you as well – definitely think you should explore the world of blush and rose for future makes! x

• Marie August 11, 2015

Thanks Elisalex! The colour was a pleasant surprise :o)

4. Gorgeous!! I love the bias finishing and buttons – so fun!

5. Jane August 11, 2015

I really love the shape of this top and the binding and buttons are just perfect!

• Marie August 11, 2015

Thanks Jane…vintage patterns really do have the best shape!

6. Patti August 11, 2015

Such a lucky find – that color is beautiful and the navy stripe trim just makes me say “Wow”!
    Your vintage blouse really inspires me!! I will never look at a man’s shirt in the same way again.

• Marie August 11, 2015

So pleased to have inspired you…I suspect you’ll feel that way about the entire refashioners series :o)

7. Hélène August 11, 2015

The shape and the colour are so flattering! And the stripy biais and matching buttons make all the difference.

• Marie August 11, 2015

I was so pleased when I found buttons that matched the binding!!!

8. Jane Phillips August 11, 2015

Cute ideas! I like the binding.

9. Lani August 11, 2015

Hi,

I just wanted to say how amazingly talented you are and all who participate in remaking clothing. I can’t garment sew (don’t really enjoy it but that’s probably because I find it difficult) however I am a quilter (both piecing and longarming).

So I love following your blog just to see the creative ideas all of the participants come up with!

Cheers to all of you creative ladies!
    Lani

• portia August 11, 2015

What a lovely comment Lani! But stay tuned….a couple of these may just be right up your alley 😉 😉

• Marie August 11, 2015

That’s so lovely of you to say…thank you! As Portia has suggested, I think some fellow participants have branched out from dressmaking :o)

10. mrsmole August 11, 2015

So cool to have some interest in the back…we forget that folks see us from both sides. Love the bias binding and buttons and the fit is superb…an ordinary man’s shirt transformed into something so darling! Great job!

• Marie August 13, 2015

Thanks ever so much! I’m a huge fan of back detail!

11. chris August 12, 2015

All I can say (in that Little Britain tone) – It’s GOOORGEOUS and I LOVE IT. The buttons and bias are the perfect compliment – well done. You make some wonderful things Marie and continue to inspire us all – definitely want to have a go at doing something like this myself. A huge smile and high five is whinging it’s way from the South of France 🙂

• chris August 12, 2015

or complement – oops sorry for the spelling

• Marie August 13, 2015

Chris, you really are too kind! Thank you so much for the lovely comment and I’m so pleased to have inspired you :o)

12. Chick3y August 22, 2015

You shouldn’t shy away from pink, it is a beautiful color on you! I love your top and think the navy bias tape is a superb addition!

13. Sonja August 22, 2015

This is adorable! It’s so Marie! It’s a really inspiring refashion!

14. Sasha August 26, 2015

lovely and feminine and a perfect shaping of the back! love it!