DIY: Magnetic Pin Dish

Magnetic pin dish DIY at www.makery.uk

Spilled pins are just one of those little niggles we can all do without.  A simple fix is a magnetic pin dish. You can buy them. They’re not expensive. But then they’re not that pretty either. OR you can make your own. Well, naturally, you’d want something pretty and DIY’d right?

Magnetic pin dish DIY at www.makery.uk

I have had my eye out for the perfect little dish for this for like, a year. Seriously! Why didn’t I just buy a magnetic pin dish? Cos I’m stubborn and I didn’t want a lump of plastic when I could have something pretty and vintage. So I waited. I knew I’d come across one eventually and today I did.  For the princely sum of 50p.  Isn’t it divine?! I already had the magnets from my clay fridge magnets diy and there’s always a tube of superglue in this house….

Magnetic pin dish DIY at www.makery.uk

This dish had the perfect size recess in the base for the magnets….or these magnets are the perfect size for that recess…well, whichever way round it is….perfect fit.

Magnetic pin dish DIY at www.makery.uk

No more spilt pins!

Magnetic pin dish DIY at www.makery.uk

“But wait, what if you spill other pins that aren’t safely in the dish already ?!” I hear you ask! (Just play along. I know you didn’t say that. Just pretend you did, ok?)

Magnetic pin dish DIY at www.makery.uk

Just a skim over your spillage with the base of your newly magnetised pin dish and jobs a goodun’.

BTW…if you plan on doing this, and the spacing/neatness of the magnets bothers you; glue one magnet at a time and leave about 30 seconds before you stick the next one. Until the glue is dry, the next magnet you place near it will automatically attract it towards it and they’ll naturally bunch together like that little trio at the back there.

Magnetic pin dish DIY at www.makery.uk

I like my little pin dish. It’s coming in handy as I keep leaving my pincushion downstairs by the ironing board and then having to run back downstairs and get it when the pins are ready to come out again! So this is sitting by my sewing machine upstairs to collect the pins as they come out.

At the moment I sew upstairs behind the bedroom door, and iron downstairs on a counter top board. Any cutting out or pinning is done on my knees on the floor (and that’s starting to affect my knees and my back).  Truth be told I have to summon alot of motivation to sew at the moment and I don’t seem to get as much done either. Between being up and down the stairs every 5 minutes; and setting up and packing away either side of that, I’m lucky if I get 2 hours together to sew. All this since we moved in August and I left my beloved summerhouse behind. Sniff. But….happy days!!!! We have finally ordered my new summerhouse! Yay! It arrives in 4 weeks and this time it’s bigger than my last one AND double glazed! So my patience has it’s rewards. As the saying goes, “everything comes to she who waits”…..I  can’t wait!!!  Yippee!

What’s your sewing space situation? Is it a faff for you to set up and pack away each time? Can you not remember the last time you actually ate at your dining table? Or are you lucky enough to have your own sewing space??

1. Megan April 22, 2015

I’m going to do this tonight! I have been trying to come up a plan like this for awhile, but I hadn’t come up with something this good yet. I even have all the supplies on hand. Winning!

• portia April 23, 2015

Don’t you love it when that happens Megan! Yat 🙂

2. Peta April 23, 2015

Oh, this is clever. Really, really clever. And of course it’s Pretty. I only have one problem with it. When I am in the flurry of chaos and activity that others call sewing I have been known to knock things over or drop I recently dropped two sewing machine feet down inside the lifter for my sewing machine table (we shan’t speak of it). Oh well , if I break one the worlds full of pretty dishes. Anybody have any ideas about retrieving the sewing machine feet (without dismantling the whole thing) your input would be more than welcome.

• portia April 23, 2015

Hi Peta! So….you can get these magnetic telescopic things that look like pens with a radio aerial that extends out of them. The tip is magnetised. Should suit you perfectly! I got mine from a mechanic and used it to get the spark plugs out of my motorbike…so maybe a look on amazon under magnetic tool?????

• Jean C. April 28, 2015

Might I mention Portia…. that if your sewing machine is computerized….keep magnets away from it!!!! It will mess it up! Try turning the entire machine upside down…. what goes down must come up…. well, you understand right?

• Robin April 30, 2015

I bought one of these at my local car parts store (Advanced Auto) and it cost like a dollar, found another at JoAnn’s and they wanted 15 dollars! Same exact tool, go figure!

• portia April 30, 2015

That’s a bit naughty! Saw a metal magnetic bowl like the type mechanics use for boltsnuts etc on Amazon. Super cheap!

3. Helen April 23, 2015

So pretty and a great idea. I did try this myself, thinking I was all clever, but my dish didn’t have a recess at the bottom and so the dish kept wobbling about and annoying me, so I gave up bad bought a plastic one next week. Oh, well! I’ll just have to keep an eye out for a dish with a recess and then I can have two!

• portia April 23, 2015

You can’t beat a good recess Helen, lol! 😉 Px

4. Karen Saari April 23, 2015

This is such a good idea. I also hate that purple plastic lump. 🙁 And actually I dropped it and it broke. Which was a bummer until I realized that now I had a large magnet to glue into a perfect bowl – which I haven’t found yet. But I will 🙂

• portia April 23, 2015

And it will be so much prettier too!

5. V Reed April 24, 2015

Such a pretty bowl! I use a cute little mason jar for my pins, but I do have a bowl that hangs out next to my machine. It’s a pretty magenta bowl I made in a pottery class ten or so years ago. It is the perfect size for snips and bits and little scraps of thread and fabric that seems to accumulate when I sew. At the end of the day, I dump the bowl in the trash and cut my clean up time by a huge amount. Since I sew at the dining room table, no special space for me, quick and easy clean up is a must. We eat dinner at that table every night, so the machine and all my bits have to get tucked away before I can serve the evening meal.

6. Jean C. April 28, 2015

One way you could save yourself from running up and down the stairs is make yourself a portable ironing board. You will need the following, Find a piece of wood, mine is 17.5 x 10.5 inches .(It’s just what I had on hand). Also a piece of sand paper. Some scraps of quilt batting or padding of some sort; you could use several layers of flannel. Also you will need, a staple gun with staples and a large enough piece of heat proof fabric…. (you know the kind, generally it’s grey and heat resistant).
    Sand the board rounding the corners a bit, wrap the board with batting/or/flannel staple in a couple of spots to hold in place. Cover with heat proof fabric staple edges (I stapled the skinny edges on the sides so I wouldn’t be ironing over staples. And waaala! You are done! You can make as large or small as you want and it saves time and energy…. no more running up and down the stairs to iron that one little seam! More time to sew!!!!

• portia April 29, 2015

Ah, thank you Jean 🙂 Alas I’m already using a mini ironing board downstairs! Not even the space for that upstairs, lol! But great idea….thanks for sharing 🙂 Px

7. Anne April 28, 2015

Love it! I’ve got a Craft Gossip post scheduled for tomorrow morning that links to your tutorial:
    –Anne

• portia April 29, 2015

Thanks Anne! Px

8. Lucy April 29, 2015

That is AWESOME! I’ll be keeping a lookout for pretty dishes now !
    X

9. Carol April 30, 2015

I love this cute idea and will definitely give it a try!

10. daisy jones May 12, 2015

Hello Portia

What a fab idea I have three of those horrid lumps of plastic and cannot do without them…
    (or so i thought) until now. Thank you.
    I do have my own sewing room and its been featured in the mags too…I am presently taking it from the kitsch vintage look to a fresh modern boho feel….come on over?
    You know what I follow you on Ig and then forget you have a wonderful blog to follow too, do you do that?
    bestest Daisy x

• portia May 16, 2015

I love your interior shots on IG! Same as you I sometimes forget anout catching up on blogs!

11. Lisa January 28, 2016

Just copied this idea with a chinese dipping plate/ dish from Sainsbury’s a bargain at 99p! Not available online but part of this instore range. Thanks for the inspiration ?