Asymmetric Pleated Tunic

DIY Asymmetric Gathered Tunic at www.makery.uk

This mustard knit has been sat in my stash since a few months before we moved last year. I recovered it from storage last week. It is soooooo stretchy and since I didn’t have the right colour cones for my overlocker, I opted to sew this on my standard machine. One word. Aaaargh! But hey…with the aid of a walking foot and a bit of coaxing I got there. The finish isn’t perfect. But in truth this is very much a toile/prototype of an idea I wanted to try out. So in the context of that…I’m content.

Content enough to want to share, because I think in principle, this idea works. Β The concept is essentially an easy way to give a shapeless garment definition through simple gathering. So I started by making a shapeless garment! Two simple rectangles sewn together across the top and sides with holes left open for the head and the arms. Not dissimilar to my pashmina refashion…but with less chalking (!) and plenty of width to play with…literally two rectangles…then neckline and armholes finished then hemmed…

DIY Asymmetric Gathered Tunic at www.makery.uk

Then I simply pinched out pleats, gathering the excess fabric into one point. Eventually settling on four pleats set off centre just on the lower bust curve. The problem I sometimes have with overly loose tops is that, because I have a largish bust, they have a tendency to hang from the bust point, disguising any shape below the bust and well…just looking a bit “tenty”. Once I’d settled on my arrangement of pleats I simply hand stitched them in place. It provides juuuust enough shaping whilst still allowing me to indulge my love of loose tops!

I could see this being useful for refashioning oversized tops and shirts…..don’t be surprised if you see this technique pop up again basically!

1. MadeByMeg March 12, 2015

Somehow you always manage to make rectangles look amazing! Love this!

• portia March 12, 2015

Ha ha! I’ll take that Meg thankyou πŸ™‚ rectangles ARE amazing πŸ˜‰ Px

2. Sasha March 13, 2015

So simple yet such a great effect. I love it!!!

• portia March 13, 2015

Glad you like Sasha! Px

3. Helen // Grosgrain Green March 13, 2015

What a great idea! I bet this would make a nice maternity top too! I think I may borrow this idea at some point!

• portia March 13, 2015

Would be perfect for maternity wear Helen!

4. eimear March 13, 2015

really lovely and effective – i totally adore the colour………..

• portia March 13, 2015

I love mustard but always been a bit wary due to my colouring!

5. Paola March 13, 2015

I’ve just discovered your site but I’ve already falled in love!

• portia March 13, 2015

Ah that’s so kind Paola πŸ™‚ Welcome! Px

6. Claire March 13, 2015

Brilliant ideas! I really want to try this but can you explain how you “finished and hemmed” the neckline and armholes please? I imagine they would have raw edges so I’m interested in exactly what you did as the still seem to follow the line of the rectangles

• portia March 13, 2015

They’re simple turned hems. For the armholes and neckline, when you press open the side seams and shoulder seams, the “sleeve” & neckline hems will begin to turn in by the same amount as your side/shoulder seams. So you just turn the same amount under all the way around each opening. Does that make sense?

• Claire March 16, 2015

Thanks, makes sense to me now. I will try this next weekend

• portia March 16, 2015

Ah yay!

7. Baye March 13, 2015

Love how this came out. I’m just starting to venture in sewing clothing, and this is one thing I definitely want to try.

• portia March 13, 2015

Thank you Baye πŸ™‚ Would be a great beginner project!

8. charlotte March 14, 2015

LOVE!!!!!!

• portia March 14, 2015

πŸ™‚

9. JJ March 15, 2015

The pleats have such a great artistic vibe! Looooooove the mustard color!!!

JJ

10. Anne March 16, 2015

Such a simple detail but it really changes the shape and the look. I’ve got a Craft Gossip post scheduled for later today that links to your tutorial;
    –Anne

• portia March 16, 2015

Thankyou Anne πŸ™‚ so glad you like πŸ™‚

11. Ginger March 16, 2015

This looks awesome! And what a great color! I can’t believe how simple it was to achieve- it looks really tricky!

• portia March 16, 2015

Thanks lovely! I like simplicity! πŸ˜‰

12. Peta March 17, 2015

Hi. First time I’ve seen your stuff (CraftGossip). Clever, clever, clever. If this was any simpler it would be because someone else would be doing it for me.

• portia March 18, 2015

Hi Peta! Welcome and thank you! I tend to like to solve a design dilemma in as few steps as possible, lol πŸ™‚

13. Aleeda April 8, 2015