refashion: the combo shirt

THE COMBO SHIRT REFASHION at www.makery.ukI’d had both these vintage shirts hanging in my wardrobe for a few months. The spoils of a thrifting trip. The stripe one is a vintage Jaeger but was too short and had a straight hem which was not flattering on me at all. I like me a shirt tail hem….which fortuitously…the grey one had….hmmm…no brainer right?! Here’s how…

Turn 2 shirts into one at www.makery.uk

Trim the first shirt to the point where you want the colour block effect to start, plus desired seam allowance. Don’t cut to close to a button/button hole as we’re going to need to unpick and manipulate those button bands in a bit…

Turn 2 shirts into one at www.makery.uk

Cut the bottom half of the second shirt. Again, give yourself room to manoeuvre on the button plackets. (I ended up cutting about 1″ below that top button in the end)

Turn 2 shirts into one at www.makery.uk

As we’re going to join the two pieces they need to be the same size, so if either the top or the bottom is bigger, like this…

Turn 2 shirts into one at www.makery.uk

Then mark with a pin either side how much it needs to be taken in….

Turn 2 shirts into one at www.makery.uk

Start stitching there, and taper your line of stitching gradually until you meet the original line of stitching as close to the hem as you can. Zig zag and trim, or serge the new edge…

Turn 2 shirts into one at www.makery.uk

Now this is why we needed some wriggle room on the button plackets away from button holes and buttons. Simply joining the 2 pieces together would create too much bulk around the plackets and the join would be partially visible from side on. It just wouldn’t be a clean finish. Just cos it’s a refashion, doesn’t mean we don’t have standards! So unpick the plackets until you can lay them out flat…

Turn 2 shirts into one at www.makery.uk

Then join the two pieces and finish the raw edge….

Turn 2 shirts into one at www.makery.uk

Then press everything, turn the button bands back under, and re stitch the plackets where the original stitching was…

Turn 2 shirts into one at www.makery.uk

Et voila!. Much better!  I’m kicking myself a bit because the button spacing is a bit whack. It’s only just out, but I know it’s there (and so do you now because I just did a sewist classic and pointed it out, lol!) I either need to put another button hole in…or I might settle for a concealed press stud. But the join does line up perfectly at the placket, so I’m giving myself some kudos there considering I totally eyeballed it. (Are you guys serial measurers or do you eyeball it? I tend to flit between the two. I think I have a dual personality as a sewer. Accurate and neat with some things and truly slapdash with others!) The side seams are like a mm off, so near perfect. Overall though, this one is going in the “win” pile. I like.

What do you reckon? You gonna give this one a go?

Oh, btw, the diy for the necklace in this pic can be found here

1. Toria February 25, 2015

I can see this working as a longer tunic too. I think I need a trip to a charity shop soon!

• portia February 25, 2015

Yesss!

2. Kate Carvalho February 25, 2015

Wow! Seriously good idea. If I see the right shirts I’m definitely going to give it a go 🙂

• portia February 25, 2015

Yay Kate! Make sure to stop by and leave a link if you do!

3. Wendy February 25, 2015

Good combi, and yes I switch between measuring and eyeballing too

• portia February 26, 2015

I think maybe it’s a mood thing Wendy? Some days I have all the patience in the world….another day I’ll barely touch a tape measure or even pins, lol!

4. Sue February 25, 2015

Yep, I’m adding this to my wish list. I am assuming this only works if the button placket is integral to the shirt? I need to remember this, as lots of business shirts have the separate button placket. You have done a lovely job, and it looks so RTW. Finding coordinating shirts is clearly the other prerequisite!

• portia February 26, 2015

Hi Sue, a bit more fiddly, but still doable I should think. Would be a slightly different process but would follow the same basic principle of deconstruct, alter, reconstruct. Px

5. Suzie February 26, 2015

Looks cool! The dual sewing personality is spot on for me too as I switch from being very careful to very cavalier depending on how inspired/bored I am with the project at that particular moment!

• portia February 26, 2015

Hi Susie, “cavalier” describes it perfectly!

6. Nena Fisher February 26, 2015

Love!

• portia February 26, 2015

Yay 🙂

7. Helen // Grosgrain Green February 26, 2015

I think this works really well. I take it that both shirts are made from similar fabrics? I love how you can make a simple shirt look so edgy! And like the side seam join, no one will ever notice the button placement if you don’t point it out!!!

• portia February 26, 2015

Hi Helen, yep similar fabrics in terms of weight and drape. I think we all point out the glitches….it’s a sewist’s thang, lol 😉

8. Suzie February 26, 2015

So simple, but so fantastic!

• portia February 26, 2015

I like simplicity Suzie, lol 😉 (and thankyou!)

9. Petite Josette February 26, 2015

so clever! I love the result!
    Thrift shopping is the best – and the worst when it comes to accumulating “wanna-be projects”
    I have to try really hard not to bring home a bunch of ill-fitting garments that I think I’ll easily adjust or transform – cause I rarely make it happen.
    So props to you for turning these two finds into one great shirt!

• portia February 26, 2015

Ah, we’ve all been there! I was forced to have a massive clearout of those “pending” refashions when we moved last year. Embarassing amount is all I’m saying! Trying to be good at the moment!

10. Ginger February 26, 2015

Ooooh, this is so cool! Buttondowns are really expensive in thrift stores here in NYC (like $15 each, oof!) but now I’m thinking I may have to take a sneaky peek in the fella’s closet to see if there’s anything I can steal to refashion!

• portia February 27, 2015

Theft is the answer to everything 😉 ($15 is like, robbery!!) Px

11. JJ February 27, 2015

Too cool for words! You make me want to try minimalism…then I remember my dominate crazy side. :o) …but I can totally enjoy it on others!!!

JJ

• portia February 27, 2015

Ha ha, dominant crazy side, love it! 🙂 PX

12. Jenni February 27, 2015

Great idea, did you see what Claudia was wearing on #gbsb 3!!

• portia February 27, 2015

I did Jenni! I had it on pause because I was on the phone, then someone instagrammed me to point it out….Spooky!

13. Jenni February 27, 2015

Love this idea x did you see what Claudia was wearing on last night’s #gbsb 😉

14. Julie March 1, 2015

Spooky, I have been Charity Shop searching just this week for suitable shirts to do just this. Your tips are perfectly timed, thanks.

• portia March 1, 2015

You’re welcome! Glad it’s useful! Px

15. Annabellouise March 1, 2015

I love what you did with these. This is one of my favourite shapes for shirts and the combinations of fabrics really makes it shine.
    Many years ago, when I was pregnant, I lengthened a maternity dress by inserting a band above the hem and making a tie to match (which I wore like a scarf) to detract from the bump and to make the insert look like it was meant to be there. Very successful.

• portia March 1, 2015

I like the sound of that Annabel! I love the look of neck ties on women. Clearly you were light years ahead of the game 🙂 Px

16. Anne March 1, 2015

Love the combo shirt!! I’ve got a Craft Gossip post scheduled for later today that links to your tutorial:
    –Anne

• portia March 3, 2015

Ah thanks again as always Anne! You are truly awesome 🙂 Px

17. Becky PS March 3, 2015

“Just cos it’s a refashion, doesn’t mean we don’t have standards!”

Thank you! All too often I see projects that are so slapped together and sloppy. The only good piece of advice I ever garnered from my mother was “It can be handmade, just don’t let it LOOK homemade.”

• portia March 3, 2015

Agree 100% Becky 🙂 Px

18. Joanne Roberts August 26, 2015

Cool, I finished mine last night. It is at
    I will put it on the pinterest board. thanks for the inspiration. Jo x