Thrift Update….Winter Wardrobe Basics

Long term readers of this blog will know what an advocate of thrifting I am. But it’s been a while since I posted any of my finds on here.  My new set up with working hours has afforded me a bit more time to indulge one of my favourite pastimes. Namely mooching and thrifting! And I intend for it to make a welcome return as a feature of this blog (along with all my usual sewing/refashioning/DIY). So I thought I’d share some recent additions to my winter wardrobe (a mix of vintage & high street basics) as a jumping off point….

Left to Right: Vintage Dereta Linen Kimono Jacket (£3) Vintage Nude Kimono Blouse (£1.50) Vintage Jaeger Grey/White Cotton Pinstripe Shirt (£1.50) M&S Cotton Jersey Boxy Tee (£1)

Left to Right: Vintage Cheesecloth Blouse (£2) Vintage Navy Rayon Polka Shirt Dress (£2) Wallis Cotton Knitted Sweater (£3) Longline Mauve Cardigan (£2)

Left to Right: Topshop Sheer Knit Sweatshirt (£1.50) Longline Khaki Cardigan (£2.50) Next Blush Tweed Wool Cardigan (£3) Polka Chambray Shirt (£2)

The majority of these are in regular rotation in my wardrobe already and I have refashion plans for a couple. (I picked my sewing machine and overlocker up from storage this weekend! Yay!). But to put this thrifting thing into perspective and explain why it’s so awesome? That’s 12 wardrobe basics for the price of one very modestly priced garment on the high street….!!!

Thrifting….seriously…why wouldn’t you???!

1. Eme Asterisco November 10, 2014

Where do you find all those amazing things in such lovely colors???? I am green, like lime green, with envy.

So glad your sewing machine is right back with you! We missed you!

• Portia Lawrie November 10, 2014

Aw thanks Eme! I’ve missed blogging regularly soooo much! So nice to hear I’ve been missed back!

2. annainternational November 10, 2014

Why indeed!? I love it too, though it seems you’ve got a great selection here. Was that all on one trip?

• Portia Lawrie November 10, 2014

I wish Anna! No, all accumulated over a period of about a month or so!

3. Kate November 10, 2014

So many beautiful pieces!! And at such incredible prices. Unfortunately we pay dearly for items at the thrift stores, which I can never quite understand. Enjoy the new additions to your wardrobe.

• Portia Lawrie November 10, 2014

Some thrift stores have got wise I think! But where I am there are ALOT of them so the competition keeps the prices down I think…

4. diaryofapennypincher November 10, 2014

What a lovely selection! Well done, especially on the woollens, which I can never find cheap round here. I’m also a great charity shopper and am lucky to have so many with pound rails near me. Unfortunately, I’ve only managed to spend £2 this month, that was two items though.

5. Sarah November 10, 2014

Great finds! And such good prices, the ones in my town are pricey for clothes yet cheap as chips for home wear – it’s a strange one that!
    Looking forward to seeing your refashions.

6. DressUpNotDown November 10, 2014

And that is why I loooooove thrifting and refashioning!!! :o)

JJ

7. Giddyauntlola November 11, 2014

Incredible! Where I am really good at finding vintage homeware in charity shops, I never look at the clothes! I am inspired to have a look through the rails 🙂

8. Annabellouise November 11, 2014

These are fantastic buys. I have to say that where I live, in London, the charity shops tend to be expensive. It is possible to find good things, but at a price.

9. JustSewJenna November 11, 2014

Fantastic! I’m looking forward to seeing your refashions!

10. charityshopchic.net November 21, 2014

Hi Portia, I need to shop where you shop. In my area shirts are typically £4-5 (more for silk). Dresses are typically now £10 everywhere and I am feeling less and less like I’m getting value for money when I charity shop these days.

• Portia Lawrie November 21, 2014

Ah Sally I hear you! One of the benefits of living in a small backwater stuck in a timewarp!