DIY: Jump Ring Necklace & Bracelet

Got a spare 20 minutes? That’s all this necklace took to make….

All it takes is a length of leather/suede cord and a tube of silver jump rings

Start with about a 70cm length of leather. About 30cm down tie a simple knot. Thread on your jump rings for about 10cm. Then tie another knot to secure the jump rings in the centre of the length of leather. Then tie off both loose ends with a sliding knot and trim the excess….simple!

I made a matching little bracelet with the 30cm of leather left over from my 1m length šŸ™‚ Adjustable. Quick. Simple. Understated.

I love the contrast of the silver against the leather…and for someone who doesn’t wear a great deal of jewellery…I’ve been wearing this alot! Planning some in coloured suede/leather or silk cord….go make some…stat! šŸ™‚

1. Ali August 18, 2014

What a brilliant idea. My god daughter will love making some of these. Thanks so much for sharing this.
    Ali xx

2. Lana Pugh August 18, 2014

Love this! So simple and chic.

3. DressUpNotDown August 19, 2014

Wow! I.must.get.leather.cord…like yesterday!!! :o)

JJ

4. minkymoo August 19, 2014

What size jump rings did you use? Great idea!

• Portia Lawrie August 21, 2014

Approximately 4mm inner diameter. See answer to acraftyscientist’s question below 😊

5. diaryofapennypincher August 19, 2014

So clever! I have a lot of cord somewhere, thanks for sharing.

6. acraftyscientist August 20, 2014

Love it, want to make some using copper rings šŸ™‚

• Portia Lawrie August 21, 2014

Me too! Having a bit of a copper crush right now!

• acraftyscientist August 27, 2014

Copper is such a lovely material, isn’t it? I wonder why there is no more copper jewellery out there?

7. acraftyscientist August 20, 2014

Hi, again, great idea! I bought some leather cord, now need to get the rings. What size rings did you use? Thank you!

• Portia Lawrie August 21, 2014

Ok this is tricky as this stuff has been in my stash for ages and don’t have the labels that came with. But have just measured one of the rings and it is 5mm across which would give an inner diameter of approximately 4mm. BUT….double check the thickness of the cord you ordered to make sure its not too thick to go through a 4mm jump ring. Hope that helps!

• acraftyscientist August 27, 2014

Thank you for the tip! I did just that before ordering, cannot wait for the materials to arrive to make my own set, I am making a copper one as well as a silver one. Endless possibilities šŸ™‚

8. acraftyscientist September 7, 2014

Here is my first attempt, thank you for the idea and inspiration!

• Portia Lawrie September 8, 2014