FO: Sheer Knit Hemlock Tee Variation…

I recently whipped up this variation on Grainline’s Hemlock Tee. It’s made using a sheer knit fabric (hence I also had to whip up the vest top underneath!) that I bought from Minerva crafts at £4.99/m available here. I bought the ivory, which as you can see is much more white in reality. I used the exact same process on this make as I used for this pashmina refashion if you want more step by step deets….;)

Thinking I might whip up a few vest tops in different colours to layer underneath. (In fact if Minerva had this type of fabric in a range of colours  I’d probably make more of these too) I kinda hashed this vest top a bit. It hardly qualifies as self drafted as I literally laid a vest top I already had straight onto the jersey fabric, cut around it, and then whizzed it through the overlocker. Not my finest hour, lol!  Can any of you recommend a simple vest pattern??

Oh,and I had a couple of emails asking to see what my recently refashioned coat actually looked like on…and being the obedient gal that I am…

My best friend, who is extremely honest (which I love about her 😉  said that when she had seen my recent post about this coat, she thought it looked a bit “granny’ish” on the mannequin; but that actually it looked better on. I’m still not sure whether that meant that she approved overall. But I’m happy to settle for “granny chic”….

1. Sew little time February 22, 2014

Maria Denmark has a vest top pattern. Haven’t tried it but her patterns are normally good. Or if a strappy vest is your thing how about the so zo pattern? Or the free sammi cami from Lena at sewing space for a looser fit?

• Portia Lawrie February 22, 2014

Off to check out the first and third options now, thankyou! Sadly strappy isn’t a good look on me. I need to disguise some serious bra scaffolding, lol!

2. Kaitlyn February 22, 2014

Love the coat. Don’t think it looks granny at all. However I think granny chic is a perfectly acceptable dress style

3. Lexi H February 22, 2014

Lovely! The perfect little white tee is such a wardrobe staple. I have yet to buy or sew one I really love. I think you have nailed it here.

4. Petite Josette February 22, 2014

this coat looks very nice on you. I could see a big chunky cowl or scarf worn with it for a pop of colour. Great job on the refashionning!

5. ana5059 February 23, 2014

I like it, the coat fits you very well, the tee looks comfy. The outfit is great!

6. Helen February 23, 2014

The coat doesn’t look grannyish in the least! I think it looks really stylish and modern. I wasn’t sold on the collarless look, but now I see it on, I am definitely sold! Love your Hemlock too!

7. DressUpNotDown February 25, 2014

Aw thank you so much for modeling the coat for us. It looks smashing on you!

8. symondezyn February 26, 2014

If this is ‘granny chic’ I think anyone could get on board with that! You look fabulous, as always 🙂

9. Jacqueline Eames February 27, 2014

Love the coat, looks fabulous on you.

For the vest, try the Maria Denmark one, I’ve sewn several and it’s a well drafted basic tank, I highly recommend it. I know what you mean about spaghetti straps, I prefer good bra coverage in a cami too, I cheated with the so zo cami and doubled the width of the straps by zigzagging two widths of elastic lace together on the strap piece, worked like a charm. Result strappy cami + bra coverage.