Sewing Plans: The Andy Coat by Named…

Not a great deal of sewing has taken place over the last few weeks. I am readjusting to a new schedule as I started a new job a month ago as a retail manager/buyer for a local art cafe! Basically I get to spend someone else’s money buying up beautiful handmade and artisan gifts, accessories, jewellery and homewares to sell in the retail side of the business! Plus it’s 5 mins from my home and I still get to drop my little boy off to school. Not a bad gig huh?? I’m also responsible for creating window displays, marketing and building an online presence. So plenty of opportunity for flexing my creative muscles! And lot’s of work ahead. I’ll be sharing some of the creative projects I get up to here on this blog and will share a little more about the business in the fullness of time. But yeah, basically the news is I got a proper job!

But in the meantime, I have been hatching sewing plans. Readers, meet The Andy Coat from Named Clothing….this is exactly what I had in mind when I threw my challenge into Karen’s Sewlutions Jar. I was planning on drafting a pattern for my coat because I hadn’t been able to find a pattern that matched the coat I had in my mind, but having seen Marie’s post about Named, and checking out their range, I immediately fell for the simple, uncluttered lines of this coat….I’m making it in a teal wool….

The fabric is from Dragonfly Fabrics and is from their boiled wool range. It arrive so gorgeously wrapped and with a lovely handwritten note from Dorte, who has been fabulously helpful if offering advice on working with boiled wool (it doesn’t fray peops!!). I plan to pick her brains a little more during the process of this make! I cannot quite convey how squidgy and soft this fabric is. The only word that comes close is, quite simply, DELICIOUS!

Tomorrow I get started on this pattern. It will take me a few weeks as I now have to go to work every day šŸ˜‰ But that is perhaps a blessing. I probably need to take this slow and steady, as it is by far the most ambitious project I’ve attempted to date; and I want to do both the pattern and the fabric justice. Eeeep! Can’t wait to get started in the morning!!

1. Jenni November 5, 2013

Congrats on the job, and good luck with the coat, Beautiful colour xx

2. Kaitlyn November 6, 2013

Wow! What a beautiful project to be starting. I love the colour of the wool; it’s the colour I wear most in winter.

• Portia Lawrie November 6, 2013

The colour is gorgeous isn’t it?! Just hope I don’t fluff it and can do it some justice!

3. Giddyauntlola November 6, 2013

I have this exact same wool from Dragonfly Fabrics – I made a pencil type skirt with it and the colour and feel of the fabric is gorgeous. I can confirm that it doesn’t fray and Dorte gave advice on how to sew with it šŸ™‚

• Portia Lawrie November 6, 2013

Ooooh, how did you find it to work with?? I’m thinking of interlining it as I’m not too sure how warm it will be with just the shell fabric and a lining….any thoughts?

4. Trollemor November 6, 2013

Congratulations on the job! It can be a great feeling to allso get “out of the house” and meet grownups;)
    I really liked this pattern! are you planning to line the coat?

• Portia Lawrie November 6, 2013

Hi Trollemor
      Yes, lining, and also possibly interlining. Any advice?

5. Sewing Princess November 6, 2013

Congratulations! So happy you have a new job. Working close to home is a blessing. I look forward to seeing your progress on the coat.

• Portia Lawrie November 6, 2013

I know! I feel so lucky that this job literally landed in my lap! Someone up there is looking out for me, for sure!

6. Lene November 6, 2013

Oooh, beautiful fabric and color. Can you share the advice on how to sew with this kind of fabric. I have my eye set on something similar, but not sure how to sew it.

• Portia Lawrie November 6, 2013

Hi Lene
      I’m going to post each stage of my progress, so yes, absolutely will share my experience of working with this fabric šŸ™‚

7. EllenSand November 6, 2013

Named have really many good patterns.
    Congratulations with new job.
    Ellen šŸ™‚

• Portia Lawrie November 6, 2013

Named patterns are gorgeous aren’t they?! My only concern is the pattern format….we’ll see how that goes!

8. Emily November 6, 2013

I’m excited to see this project unfold! I was thinking about making this coat too, so I’m anxious to see how yours turns out.

• Portia Lawrie November 6, 2013

Hopefully you’ll be inspired rather than put off Emily, ha ha!

9. Camilla November 6, 2013

Congratulations on your new job, how exciting. Love the colour of the fabric you’ve chosen for your coat. Good luck with it. I’ve just finished a winter jacket – (post to come) and it was a bit of a sewing milestone making winter outerwear!

• Portia Lawrie November 6, 2013

Hi Camilla
      It’s a bit of a milestone for me too, and one I’m more than a little nervous about!

10. Almost a Hippy November 6, 2013

Wow, I’m in love with the fabric, thanks for introducing me to a new store! Good luck with the coat.

11. Marie November 6, 2013

This. Is. Going. To. Be. Amazing. Fact!

12. Marie November 6, 2013

Darn, my last msg posted before I was ready! I also wanted to say a huge congrats on the job lady! It’s such excellent news and it sounds like a brilliant gig…perfect for a creative soul like you! I’m so happy for you Portia!xx

13. Stephanie November 7, 2013

Loooooooove! I kind of have the same thing planned!! I have a dark teal coating that wants to be used up this winter, but I think I may use a Burda pattern. Can’t wait to see yours!

14. Scruffybadger November 7, 2013

Portia, I’ve got this in my sights too…theres something very wearable about it, isn’t there?

15. Jess November 10, 2013

I’ve just discovered named clothing and am a little in LOVE with their patterns!!! I cant wait to see how this turns out:)
    Also congratulations on your job!!! I actually make jewellery and am always looking for cute little independent shops to stock my pieces.
    If you fancy it pop over and have a look at my on-line shop: https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/PinkSunshineLondon?ref=si_shop

Jess x

16. sadieburnett November 11, 2013

This looks fab, what a gorgeous design too x