FO: Hemlock Tee (& a haircut!)

So, the mission for some new tops for Autumn has begun in earnest. I’ve made 4 so far in the past week. First up is this version of Grainline’s Hemlock Tee. This is a heavyweight jersey. Not quite a sweatshirt. I guess you could say somewhere between a jersey and a ponte. So it’s toasty warm ๐Ÿ™‚ I picked this length of fabric up from a charity shop for a mere ยฃ1 so it’s a super cheap and super quick make too.

Oh, yeah, and I had all my hair lopped off too. Bit of a spur of the moment thing. I spent the night before my appointment pinning hairstyles on Pinterest. Heck I just felt like a change and blow drying that bob everyday was becoming a faff. (Especially now my mornings involve a proper school run). Still getting used to it and can’t stop fiddling with it for the moment. It’s only been 2 days. You’ll probably notice the stark contrast in colour too. I haven’t coloured my hair for a few months over the summer (just no point!). So all the colour has been sun bleached ย out and this is the nearest I’ve been to my natural colour for some years (ahem, grey included! You can’t see it in these pics, but it’s there!)….

Anway, back to the Hemlock Tee. Seriously, what’s not to love about this pattern?! It’s quick, easy, FREE, and it chimes perfectly with my hankering for some slouchy, comfy tops for Autumn. In fact, if you saw my previous post you may have noticed it is almost identical to one of the inspiration pics I posted there…

I made some slight changes. I omitted the neckline band the pattern calls for and simply rolled the neckline under and narrow hemmed it. (Same with the hem and cuffs) I cut the ubiquitous high low hem, and added a patch pocket. I don’t have an overlocker so the whole thing was sewn on my standard sewing machine. As this fabric doesn’t fray there was no need for me to finish the raw edges. (I was going for quick rather than thorough ๐Ÿ˜‰ Similarly, this is quite a stable knit; so neither did I have to employ any special stitches. I used a standard straight stitch on all seams and hems; and simply held the fabric under a small amount of tension (in other words I stretched it slightly) as it fed through my machine, and that seems to have done the job beautifully!

I spent so long avoiding knits. ย (Probably because my first attempt to sew jersey on my machine involved a cheap low quality jersey and a hungry feed dog….)
I thought they were preserve of sergers, but apparently not! Yes a serger provides a better finish, but I think as long as you choose a relatively stable, good quality jersey, they’re not the “be all and end all” of sewing with knits by any means…

1. Michelle September 9, 2013

Your top is a lovely combination of chic comfort. It looks incredibly easy to wear and very stylish!

2. Poppy September 9, 2013

Love the tee and your new hair cut is fabulous!

3. Katarina September 9, 2013

I loooove your new haircut. It suits you so very well and makes you look softer and younger.

4. Freya May September 9, 2013

This top is perfect for the cooler months, I’m a little afraid of jerseys, but for this top I’ll try again- You’re right about the quality of the fabric.
    Freya May

5. Sonia September 9, 2013

Great top and your new hair is FAB!

6. daisydonut September 9, 2013

Your new hair cut is lovely and I love the tee shirt. I’ve not yet tried sewing with knits. This could be a good pattern to start with, although I’m a bit wary of loose tee shirts as I have a large bust, so not sure how it would look.

7. missmarys September 9, 2013

Love the top. I’m a ginger too and I love your hair cut.
    Mary

8. Donna Hensley September 9, 2013

Ditto – love the top and the haircut!!

9. turtleandi September 9, 2013

Your top is lovely. I must download this pattern! I absolutely loved your bob yet this cut somehow makes you look so much younger.

10. Kate September 9, 2013

You’ve convinced me to make this FREE tee! Gorgeous and I love the grey! Love your posts!

11. johanna@projects by me September 9, 2013

You look beautiful with cool new shirt and new haircut!

12. Geminae September 9, 2013

You have the perfect face for that haircut. I don’t sew jersey too much for the same reasons.

13. Jessica Hurst September 9, 2013

Your haircut is super cute! LOve, LoVe, LovE it!

14. Helen September 9, 2013

Your hair is gorgeous and you really suit it! I am growing mine – it’s never really been truly long – but I keep thinking about going shorter again…

Also the top is great. I am also scared of jersey, but I do love this top, so need to get over that fear! I have a very similar shaped top from Boden (bought, no, actually, inadvertently stolen, from a Boden sale – the girl neglected to charge me for it and I didn’t realise til I got home…) which I love, so nice to know that I can now replicate it! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Miss P September 13, 2013

Give it a go Helen….I used a walking foot, jersey needle, and kept the fabric under tension as I sewed. Which was fine for this as it was a stable knit and a loose fitting top…

15. carolinascallin September 9, 2013

LOL at your knit experience…I had the same problem! The top is so fun and looks like it will be a great addition to a wardrobe for anyone!

Cute haircut, too!

• Miss P September 13, 2013

It always makes me feel better when someone has the same problem as me! Means I’m not a doofus!

16. Stevie September 9, 2013

Love the hair and the hemlock! I was wondering how it would behave with a thicker fabric and it looks great! x

• Miss P September 13, 2013

You could even use it as a sweatshirt pattern by adding ribbing bands to the hem and cuffs….hmmmm….

17. Who is that Girl Mo? September 9, 2013

Cute tee! ๐Ÿ™‚

Mo

18. Marie September 9, 2013

Oh Portia…you are so cute I want to put you in my pocket and take you around with me everywhere! I adore the new haircut and I’m loving your natural colour…very hot! Oh and your top is very nice indeed!

• Miss P September 13, 2013

Ha ha! Not sure I’d fit in your pocket, but thankyou!

19. opportunityknits September 10, 2013

Really like this so much! Will keep in mind leaving out the neckline band.

20. Scruffybadger September 10, 2013

Nice tee- I’ve got the urge for slouchy tees too, and it’s great to see you’ve made a start on yours! And the haircut is cute ๐Ÿ™‚

21. Tilly September 10, 2013

Great top – very Portia – and LOVE the hair! I saw you pinning those hairstyles to Pinterest and was hoping you were going for the chop. I used to have my hair like this and LOVED it. It reeeeally suits you, as does your natural hair colour – very very pretty xx

• Miss P September 13, 2013

Aw, thanks Tilly. I can imagine a short cut suiting you too…

22. Anonymous September 10, 2013

Darling top and love – love – love your haircut!

23. Diary of a penny pincher September 10, 2013

What a great top, I love your addition of the pocket and am really shocked that you don’t have an overlocker. Maybe I will attempt jersey on my 60 year old Singer now! Thank you for the inspiration, oh and your hair is fabulous, colour and cut!

• Miss P September 13, 2013

Do it! 60 year old Singers are some of the best machines out there!

24. Hannah September 10, 2013

Totally agree with you, sewing with jersey is not exclusively for overlockers and you can get great results from a regular sewing machine, as you’ve just proved ๐Ÿ™‚

25. didyoumakethat September 12, 2013

REALLY like the new hair cut, Portia!

• Miss P September 13, 2013

Why THANK you Karen!

26. ana5059 September 16, 2013

Fantastic haircut, you look younger and so stylish!

27. dounette September 16, 2013

I love the top AND the new hair cut!!!

28. Sara September 24, 2013

Okay, it’s official—I’m making the Hemlock tee! Also, love your haircut. I wish more than anything I could pull off short hair but curls and and a flat iron do not equal cute short hair.

29. Sarah Harris October 20, 2013

Found your top through the Grainline Flickr group and I’m in love with your tee. I made a similar slouchy tee but it’s a little too slouchy. Love how your “turning and hemming” changed the neckline. I’ll have to try that!

30. Keda October 15, 2015

I downloaded the pattern, found some light knit fabric at a thrift shop and I’m going to try sewing it. Coming into summer so I’m going to modify it to cap sleeves.

I’ve only just got my first sewing machine (at 42!) and I sat down and made a pair of PJ shorts for my kid with nothing but an old sheet and business shirt of my husband’s, some shorts that fit him, and the internet. They look ‘rustic’ but he loves them. I’m a bit worried about hemming and working with stretch fabric, but the worst that can happen is no t-shirt, right? Which is where I am no anyhow!