DIY: Scrabble Fridge Magnets…!!

Turn Scrabble Tiles Into Fridge Magnets

We like us some Scrabble in this house. When my partners teenage son moved in, he brought with him his own Scrabble set. Since our old one had a few tiles missing (er one of them a “U” people! Which is super annoying when you end up with a “Q” in your selection!) I thought I’d indulge in a little repurposing.

From time to time, there’s a DIY that’s so simple that really it requires little or no words. Quite simply, Scrabble tiles + Superglue + Magnets……

Turn Scrabble Tiles Into Fridge MagnetsTurn Scrabble Tiles Into Fridge MagnetsTurn Scrabble Tiles Into Fridge MagnetsTurn Scrabble Tiles Into Fridge MagnetsTurn Scrabble Tiles Into Fridge Magnets
 Elliott was straight in there like a rat up a drainpipe. The good thing about these as opposed to the standard ABC fridge magnets you get, is that you have multiples of every letter. So not only are full words appearing on our fridge every time I walk past, but whole sentences too! (Not all of them fit for public viewing if J is involved. Do men ever grow up? 😉 But Elliott at least can now spell his name because he finally has the 2 “L’s” and 2 “T’s” he needs!

I picked the magnets up on ebay for a mere £3.27 inc p&p and used all but 5. So that’s alotta letters! All I did was measure the diameter and depth of the indentation in the back of the tile (14mm x 3mm) and ordered my magnets to fit. Two words of caution. First, be patient and let the tiles dry properly before putting them on your fridge. (Wouldn’t want you to end up with a couple welded to your fridge; yep, I did that..). Secondly, be warned….you can easily lose an hour sat on the kitchen floor making up stupid phrases just for giggles……;)

1. Brittany_Va-VoomVintage August 11, 2013

These are so fun!! I love scrabble. We had that fridge poetry when I was a teenager and the whole family enjoyed writing out something silly to leave for the next person to visit the fridge. I bet they’d be great learning tools for little ones too!

2. Jane August 11, 2013

Fab idea Portia.. You’re right, the simple ideas are always the best ones! x

3. Toni-Louise August 11, 2013

Brilliant idea! Gorgeous! 🙂 x

4. Helen August 11, 2013

This is genius! Now I need to find myself a cheap scrabble set (not using our “good” set…)

5. This is such fun, Portia!

6. wilddufflesews August 11, 2013

What a great idea! looks really cool. Love the blog!

7. flossiejamieson August 11, 2013

So very cool. I love these – and what a brilliant way to get kids into spelling and maths too!

8. CTpat August 11, 2013

I have word magnets that I have on my washing machine. Hate to admit it, but I’m the one with the “salty” sentences. Everyone that comes over loves to make different sentences. I’m going to look for a Scrabble game in a charity shop and make some magnets for the fridge.

9. Marie August 11, 2013

Tres cool!

10. Kat August 12, 2013

Awesome idea! I’ll definitely be doing this when Imogen’s older.

11. Felicity from Down Under August 12, 2013

we used to have about four sets of alphabet magnets, so there were always options for lots of words. But this is a magical idea!

12. LLBB September 1, 2013

how did you make the indentations in the back??

• Miss P September 1, 2013

They were already there, just asking for magnets to be put in them!
      Most of the scrabble sets I’ve seen have them but some are flat backed. In which case a different type of magnet, like a thin sheet/strip could work..

13. Cheri in Calif February 23, 2015

What a great idea! I think I will make this for my kindergarten grand daughter. Nothing worse than those store bought sets that only have one of each vowel! visiting from Sunday Showcase linky!

• portia February 23, 2015

Ah, hi Cheri and welcome! Yeah these are much better for spelling whole words and sentences. Elliott loves them (and so do the grown ups ;))

14. James March 5, 2015

I picked up a couple of old Scrabble games from car boot sales for 50p or so and made this for our fridge. Every time we have a party at our house it’s interesting to see what is spelt out!

• portia March 5, 2015