Ikea? Sewing Machines??

Check this out you lot! Am I the only one blissfully unaware that IKEA, of all places, now sell a basic starter sewing machine for just £45????! (($69 in the US))…

To my mind, a great thing if you want to try your hand at sewing but don’t want to invest in one of the “big boys” right off the bat; AND perfect for little ones to spread their sewing wings perhaps??
Has anyone tried one of these? Know anything about them? Consider me intrigued!!

1. Figure Amour July 20, 2013

What a great price and I love the colors. That is a cute sewing machine. I didn’t know that ikea sold sewing stuff at all. I don’t really shop Ikea though. Looks like it would be good for a second addition to anyone’s sewing room.

2. Michelle vanGinneken July 20, 2013

I would probably go for a vintage all metal sewing machine at the local thrift store for $20. Zero plastic and some can be converted to hand crank for little ones learning for an extra $20. Plus, you could always keep sewing if the power ever went out 🙂 http://createquiltsew.wordpress.com/

3. Nikki July 20, 2013

Oh my , it’s got more stitch options than my janome. Wonder who the makers are behind it? I reckon great for a beginner or young ones.

4. tialys July 20, 2013

Ooh, I’d be interested to know what these are like as I’m thinking of getting my daughter a starter machine for her birthday and I don’t want to spend too much in case she doesn’t sustain her initial enthusiasm.

5. Knosses July 21, 2013

I bought one about 2 years ago when I was between’good’machines. For the price it is really pretty amazing. It has a zipper foot and does a 4-step buttonhole; I’m used to sewing on my mom’s 1960’s singer, with just a straight and zigzag stitch. The IKEA machine does best with a medium weight fabric. I could never get my tension right for delicate things and it doesn’t have enough oomph to get through really bulky things, but I was able to sew up some winter flannel dresses. Overall, I would say it is a good machine and a pretty decent backup.

• LLBB July 21, 2013

Interesting to see your feedback having sewn with this! I saw this machine in the store and was curious about it. I’ve seen other people post about it but no one who’s actually sewn with it. sounds like it does what you should expect for the price — nothing amazing but still solid for what it is.

6. forwardmartha July 21, 2013

I have a different take on the machine. It is very similar to my first sewing machine a Singer Simple. I almost gave up sewing because it was so difficult. I bought a Janome and my sewing has greatly improved. I was always “fighting” with the Singer machine. My Janome is in the shop for routine maintenance and my neighbor let me borrow a Kenmore of the same ilk as my Singer. As much as I appreciated the offer, the stitches were not that great so I put my garment to the side and I’ll wait for my machine to come back. Maybe for a child to learn on, but if you are sure you want to sew I would invest the money into a better grade sewing machine.

7. Erica Louise July 22, 2013

I keep looking at it on my trip to Ikea here in Melbourne, Australia too, and am equally intrigued. Interesting to read reviews here in your comments

8. Kristy July 22, 2013

I agree with forwardmartha – I think it’s best to learn on something decent because sewing is hard enough without fighting your machine to perform as well. I learnt on an old crappy machine, and when I finally upgraded to a better, but still basic model my pleasure in sewing increased so much and the quality of what I was making improved too

9. Miss Tessa Melissa July 22, 2013

I work/teach in a sewing machine shop. I am so sad when someone comes in with an old toy sewing machine that they got at the thrift shop to give to a kid who is just learning. If they are ever going to enjoy sewing get them a real machine! They will only learn frustration with those toys. The Ikea ones seem pretty decent for the price, though I’ve never had one come through my shop before. I like the colors, so many machines come in girly colors. I wouldn’t feel bad getting this for my son or daughter to use.

10. ashley wu July 22, 2013

They are really cute! I think they should really work well for kids learning to sew:) http://sewashley.blogspot.com/

11. Esther Baxter July 30, 2013

I just bought this machine. I am a novice and don’t do much sewing… hardly any, in fact, so even at £45 it’s going to work at something like £20 a time for each repair I made so far
    I tried it to repair a pair of jeans and it was easy to use and it did a good job. However, the machine feels very plasticcy and very light. The stitch selector is very clunky and feels as if it’s going to break any minute. OK, for the price I don’t expect the quality of the big names, but I hope it’s going to be better than it’s appearance. I’m trusting IKEA quality, see if it delivers!

12. Christiana July 31, 2013

It looks cute, but how does it really perform. I remember my first machine was $100.00 and that was in the 1970’s. The price makes me kinda skeptical. Thinking a vintage machine might perform better.

Christiana
    sewamusing.blogspot.com

13. Anonymous September 25, 2013

So, I just bought this machine for my 5 year old and myself to use. What a great little machine. It was so amazingly easy to use and just the right size for her. We just made an entire Halloween costume on it without a hitch and it stitched through 6 layers easily ( 2 layers each of wool felt, batting, and cotton ) — 12 layers when it stitched over seams. My 5 year old had no trouble using it — even reading the instructions to thread it and wind the bobbin. So simple.

14. Anonymous October 27, 2013

I bought this last year as my 90 year old Singer was not performing so well, I wasn’t sure how much I’d use this but I love it, I’ve started making clothes for my family and it hasn’t let me down yet.
    I had trouble with the bobbin loading but that could have just been my lack of experience.
    I would recommend it to anyone who wants to learn to sew.

15. Ginny Fisher November 6, 2013

I have bought one of these cute little machines for the costume shop at the university where I teach a fundamentals of costuming class. We were tired of beginning sewers messing up our larger machines just when we were under the gun to produce racks of costumes for a large production. It has been so successful that we are going to buy five more strictly for our novices. the IKEA Sy is simple to use and has all the stitches necessary for our purposes. And they are small so we can easily move them when we need room for the big boy machines.At $80 they are cheaper then some text books and several students have bought their own machines so they can work outside of class.

16. Anonymous November 14, 2013

I bought this machine, and what a waste! I bought it as a my zig zag machine, as my vintage machine didn’t have that stitch. It was dead within 2 months, I think it overheated and then never started again. A better entry level would be a cheaper Singer model, in my opinion. I paid $100 for a plastic singer (to complement my vintage all metal Singers) and we happily sew knits and bathing suits regularly.

17. Sidney Turner January 26, 2014

Hi I’m kind of a beginner but I do know my way around a machine, I was looking at this to have my own as I often use my mothers Toyota machine. I’ve used the Toyota for a couple of years now but I really want my own, nothing too expensive just for mucking around, and I was wondering how this compared to on elf the big boys? Does it feel very cheap, I’m looking for advice from someone who has sewn with one? Any help…?

18. Anonymous January 29, 2014

I have had nothing but heartache w. this piece of junk. It keeps coming unthreaded and the bobbin thread keeps catching and getting tangled. I have tried different spools with some success, but eventually the same thing happens. I am a novice but because of that I am EXTRA careful, slow and methodical about threading bobbin, etc. I am using this for simple, simple projects: cushion covers, curtains. It is INFURIATING to spend time measuring, ironing, cutting and pinning only to have the machine stick as soon as I begin to sew. If anyone knows what I’m doing wrong PLEASE give me advice, constructive criticism before this thing goes throiugh the window.

19. Pickle June 4, 2015

Has anyone any updates on using this machine as an adult? Is it any good for learning and making cushion covers, baby clothes, adult tops or skirts in cottons or wools? Has anyone tried it with thicker fabrics?

20. Pootle July 2, 2015

Hi, I bought one of these recently (May 2015) – I’m a beginner, having not used a sewing machine since school (about 25 years ago). I wasn’t sure how much I really would use it etc. everyone recommended a Janome but they are more expensive. I purchased the IKEA Sy for me (an adult) and was excited to try it. I initially had problems – I couldn’t get it to sew without the thread tangling etc but then I read online about IKEA thread not being the best and others reported tangling so I changed to another brand and have not had any problems since. Sewing with the IKEA Sy has been easy. There are lots of online videos if you get stuck. I made a few cosmetics purses and more recently a small denim (light weight) messenger bag with interfacing and lining, managing to sew through 6 layers in some places without any problems. I’m also making a child’s dress (starting with small items). The machine is small, compact, which I love as I live in a small apartment and don’t have a lot of storage space. Overall, I’m really happy with my purchase and whilst I may eventually upgrade, I believe this will do me fine for a while yet.

21. Jean Clement January 17, 2016

Where can I find spares fo r my Sy sewing machine please, the turning knob for different stitches mid front of machine has snapped, being plastic I wonder if I can get a new one

• Portia Lawrie January 17, 2016

Best bet is to contact the manufacturer Jean. They will do replacement parts 🙂

22. aqualullaby February 15, 2016

I purchased this machine about 6 months ago (as a total sewing novice). I have used it to teach myself the very basics, and from that perspective it has been good to get something simple that doesn’t overwhelm you with options and possibilities. I have made simple things with it (e.g. envelope cushion covers, totes bags, elastic-band skirts, napkins). However anything more advanced gets quickly difficult as whilst it allows you to do quite a lot, I found it hard to achieve neat and precise sewing. Although it allows you to do things like sewing tidy buttonholes, zippers or blind hems, the actual end results is not great. This is where I would expect a more advanced machine to make your sewing better and easier.

I did encounter some problems with the tension and on several occasions the machine got stuck (could never work out why and I had to crank the wheel manually to get it going). It also feels a bit flimsy and I am not sure how long it will last (I doubt there are a lot of spare parts available, and if it breaks, I am not sure it would be worth repairing…). I would hesitate to put expensive flowing fabrics through it.

So overall a nice little thing to get started, find if you have a love of sewing. If you do though, you feel limited, sometimes frustrated, with it when you try to go to the next level. For me it’s time to upgrade; I’ll keep this one for back-up and for my kids if they want to give sewing a go.

• Portia Lawrie February 15, 2016

Thanks for such an indepth run down of the pros and cons! 🙂

23. LindaS May 30, 2016

I am having trouble with the Ikea SY machine. I bought it three years ago and have hardly used it. Now it sews a few stitches, rattles somewhere underneath and stops dead, locked up. Any ideas, anyone?

24. Loulou July 20, 2016

Hi. This has helped me a lot but do you know if this comes with a blind hem foot or a blind hem stitch symbol on it. If not, do you know how you could see a blind hem on the machine.

• Portia Lawrie July 23, 2016

I doubt it. You’d have to look at the specs. But it is a very basic machine. I never use a blind hem foot. If I want an invisible hem I tend to do that part by hand. Much easier for me weirdly!

25. Celia Stapleton October 10, 2016

I wouldn’t recommend it- I bought it quite a long time ago but didn’t have time to use it until I recently retired . My friend who is a very experienced machinist showed me how to use it as I’d forgotten over the years but commented that it was it was quite flimsy and probably not a good machine .I now find having started to use it regularly it clearly has a fault with the Bobbin mechanism- it persistently tangles and the needle jams and I’ve had to replace the needle about three times . I’ve been through the instructions the troubleshooting guide I’ve had the bobbing mechanism in and outs and I have concluded that it’s just not well constructed and it comes loose when being used . Sadly I bought it so long ago I can’t expect IKEA to replace it but I’m going to go and buy a decent machine quite soon and write this off to experience .

26. JAN July 11, 2017

(I am having the same trouble as Lindas May 30 2016 ) This is the only 2nd time I have used it I have been through the Instruction Manual from front to back and everything I am doing is correct ! The only time I used it before is to turn- up a dress look likes it has turned out the most expensive ” dress turn-up”

What is IKEA doing about these machine ?

• Portia Lawrie July 14, 2017

Doesn’t sound like they are fit for purpose does it?! Have you been in touch with Ikea? I have no idea what they are doing as don’t have one. Sometimes you can get lucky with cheaper machines. Sometimes not. Have you thought about maybe getting a better machine but buying it second hand. Even machines that are 30 + years old can be awesome. My first machine was a vintage one from the late 60s and the stitch was superb.