MMM’13 – Weekly Round Up

So another week down! So far no repeats. The addition of a couple of new makes has made this week a bit easier to be fair. Every new top I make could be another 5 outfits when paired with 5 different MM/skinnified jeans. BOOM! Anyhow here’s how it went down this week. Some good, some not so good:

10th May: Chambray Tee & Skinnified Jeans – Simple and unfussy. Not alot can go wrong here!
11th May: Electric Blue Tee & Refashioned Jeans – Gah! My newly made blue top has SHRUNK despite conscientious prewashing. Furthermore, it’s shrunk even further in the next wash so now it is unwearable! These jeans were a 16 that I downsized to a 14 and narrowed before I lost my weight. They’re too big in the waist now, and so bunched up with a belt. But I rediscovered them and thought they might do in a pinch. Undecided. There’s something about them that just doesn’t work but I can’t put my finger on what it is.
12th May: Refashioned tee & Skinnfied jeans – Yeah, I’m ok with this outfit. It’s never gonna win any style prizes but it’s comfy and casual and that’s good enough for me!
13th May: Refashioned sweatshirt and refashioned jeans – No, no, no, no, no! No matter how I try I cannot get this sweatshirt to look right with anything other than non MM jeans. And look! It’s those trousers again that didn’t work on the 11th either.What is it about them….?

14th May: Geometric top & skinnified jeans – OK, but don’t love it. Plus my fringe was doing my nut in that day!
15th May: Refashioned Chambray Shirt & Skinnified Jeans – I really like this outfit. Plus I felt better after taking the scissors to my fringe. Ah, the relief!
16th May: Chambray Tee & Refashioned golf trousers – Another outfit I like! (Seriously, you may not realise what a milestone it is for me to look at a pic and go “actually, that looks alright!”)
17th May: Chambray shirt & skinnified jeans – Everything works for me here except the cardigan. It seems to optically widen me because it’s hiding any shape/waist definition…

So what have I learnt this week?

• I may have to rethink my lifelong love of cardigans. At least worn loose like that. The shape of the stripy jumper seems more flattering. Maybe need to aim for a few more jumpers in this shape
  • Longer jeans are more flattering for sure
  • Prewashing doesn’t always future proof your makes against shrinkage. Scandalous!
  • I like patterned trousers! Must get me some more.
  • Chambray is NICE πŸ™‚

1. Helen May 17, 2013

I like these outfits, but I know what you mean about looking at you photos of your own outfits. Things I think look fine in the mirror often look a bit weird in photos, and I find myself wondering which one is more true to real life!

I think your problem trousers are just too big! They look a big baggy on the thigh, particularly in the second photo.

And what about the refashioned sweatshirt with the jeans from the first pic? Surely that would work?

And I do love your golf trousers!

• Miss P May 17, 2013

Hmmm, do you think the mint would work with the black?
      I think you’re right about the “problem” trousers!
      It’s mad how the mirror says one thing and the camera says another, lol!

• Helen May 19, 2013

I think the contrast between the colours might look nice. Or what about with the golf trousers? (that works on my monitor, but realise the colours may not be true to life). Just my opinion, but I prefer to wear a paler colour with a stronger one, otherwise I can look quite washed out (I’m fairly pale skinned, like you).

Having said all that, quite often outfits that work in my head don’t appear to work quite the same in real life… πŸ™‚

2. Eleanor Austin May 17, 2013

I agree that the problem trousers are too big, they hang in a very unflattering way. The pockets also seem to visually add ‘lumps’ to your body, not a good look on your hips! The result is that in both photo’s your posture looks poor though all the other images show otherwise. You also look slimmer without them.

3. MrsC (Maryanne) May 17, 2013

Portia I love your line ups like this, you look like a catalogue model for an upmarket sportswear company xoxo. I just want to share a little thing that I think is really important with you, and you can take it or leave it depending on whether it resonates with you. πŸ™‚
    While it is cool for clothes to make one look slim/slimmer, that is only one small aspect of what is flattering. Taken in the wider context of things that matter about clothes, it makes sense, but as women I feel we tend to fixate on this one property above the others, and this can turn a new road right back around to the beginning again of that happy journey to self expression.
    Photos are great but they are still – we are never still. How an outfit behaves in motion of everyday life – comfort, warmth or coolness (both kinds!), do they rub and pull or move with us, do they crease in weird places – all these things alter the impression of a garment in ways that a photo cannot say.
    Colour – this is very important to you and you know what suits you! Colour is a key factor in clothes helping us to look radiant and healthy.
    I think all of these things are far more important than whether something is slimming. This is not an argument that survives logical extremes because it is about balancing these factors, and you always do that because your clothes suit you – your colouring, your lifestyle, they look comfortable and well fitting, they suit who Portia is as a person.
    So please, before starting down a road of cardigan eradication, consider that there is more to you and your sense of style than whether you look slim in a photo. Because that concern comes from the inner critic who, if she’s anything like most women’s, is just dying to find a fishhook back into your life to start undermining you and nagging you into heading for the chocolate biscuits or something!
    Also the same red cardi in the first photo looks much less boxy than in the last, and you are striking a different pose in the last!
    So there you go, my tuppence worth xoxo
    Also, have you tried pressing the annoying shrinking top? This often restores the fibres to their pre tightened up state! πŸ™‚

• Miss P May 17, 2013

Wise words Mrs C. Duly noted πŸ˜‰
      Pxx

4. I think you have an obsession with blue shirts. πŸ™‚

• Miss P May 21, 2013

Ha ha, I think youre right!

5. kristicraft May 18, 2013

I think the problem with those trousers is that they almost look as though the crotch has been stretched out. Agreed with everyone else; they’re simply too big. But that’s a good thing because it means you’ll have to wear more golf trousers! GAWD those look amazing! =D

• Miss P May 21, 2013

Thanks Kristi! I love my new golf trousers!

6. runfoyolife May 18, 2013

Just a little comment on the “trousers” – in addition to being a bit big, I think the color may not go so well with your coloring. The other light colored jeans from may 12th, 14th, and 15th go really well with your skin/hair – perhaps because they are more blue-toned.
    Anyways, just my two cents. When it comes down to it, if I were to see you on the street I would think you were looking fabulous and probably wouldn’t even think twice about the trousers. πŸ™‚

• Miss P May 21, 2013

Hmmm, you may have a point there….thanks!

7. kelly May 19, 2013

agreed on the problem pants problem… too big, and the pockets are misplaced/shaped. Love the possible combination of mint sweatshirt + black skinnies! way cute! and, on your May 17th with the cardigan… i think the outfit is great – problem is too tightly closed at your neck. Needs to be opened up to V-neck to offset the boxyness of the cardi. that’s just what i think πŸ˜‰ great post!

• Miss P May 21, 2013

Thanks Kelly. I might try that πŸ™‚

8. Lauren May 21, 2013

Your MMM posts are so inspiring! I’m working on my own handmade wardrobe, too. I love that you assess the looks afterward to see how you can improve on your style. I’m going to have to try that!

• Miss P May 21, 2013

That’s the best part about MM challenges I find. It makes me really look at an outfit. If you look back at my previous MM challenges, (axk, please don’t!) I think it’s helped me to develop a clearer sense of what suits me as each challenge progresses. It’s a really useful tool as well as being a fun challenge!