Inspiration: Colour Blocking

One of the things I don’t feel very confident with is combining colour. When I saw this collection from Tata Naka I was blown away by their colour palettes and clever use of panelling and seaming. If you can look past the slightly wacky aesthetic, this is really clever stuff. While I don’t think could pull off one of these looks myself, there are elements that would be fun to incorporate into future makes….

All images Tata Naka via Calivintage

What say you? Genius? Or the wrong side of whacky?

1. A May 22, 2013

I would love to know how the technique for making a skirt with sheer panels works! I’ve seen that sort of style on the catwalk a lot and I’d love to give it a go.

thanks for the photos, love that long coat!

Allison

• Miss P May 24, 2013

The coat’s yum isn’t it?!

I guess with the sheer panels it’s just a case of sewing the panels together, then pressing the seam allowances away from the sheer panel, and behind the solid, so they’re hidden. That’s how I’d do it anyway!

2. MrsK May 22, 2013

Gorgeous. I would wear all of the dresses. Not loving the trousers so much…

• Miss P May 24, 2013

I like the shape of the trousers, but the panelling is the wrong side of whacky for me. Kinda frames the crotch; and who wants to draw attention to their crotch, lol?!

3. MrsC (Maryanne) May 22, 2013

I love the idea of the sheer stripes in the bottom of a garment, that would look fab on one of your much loved tunic styles. I love it too when it is the same colour as the solid. It’s easy to do, just using an organza and sewing in the stripe.
    Otherwise the vibe of this collection is too 80’s for me – been there done that the first time around! Clever though!

• Miss P May 24, 2013

Me too Maryanne! I experienced the 80’s first time round but still like some of the elements….although neon towelling socks are best left firmly in the past!

4. beassewingadventures May 22, 2013

The dress with the squares and the yellow flash is fab!

• Miss P May 24, 2013

Yes, that ones a cracker isn’t it! Mondrian’esque and I love the bright yellow flash. Some clever pattern slashing and seam placement going on there 🙂

5. As the mother of three teenagers, I think my kids would get beat up if they ever wore something like that to school. I think I agree with you. Too much for one piece, but some incorporation would be sweet.

6. Fran May 22, 2013

The old color-blocking from the 60’s! Not an attractive fashion, nor one with staying power.!

• Miss P May 24, 2013

Fashion has always been cyclical and borrowed from past eras hasn’t it 🙂 Colour blocking has featured in collections for the last few years, so it seems to be sticking around at the moment. Personally I love it!

7. EmSewCrazy May 22, 2013

I think done in subtler colors and not so much it could be pulled off. Definitely not high school attire though. 🙂
    The blue long sleeve tee with bands in the back of the pom pom pic would be something easy to wear and the yellow and blue dress in the above pic is just a less classier version of the illusion dresses that are going around.
    The lines for the color blocking are very well placed too.

• Miss P May 24, 2013

Em I’m with you all the way. Those colour combos in more muted shades would work beautifully. The lines for the colour blocking are great aren’t they. The way they draw the eye and mess with it a bit!

8. Stephanie May 22, 2013

I love their use of colour! really inspiring me to make something colour-blocked. Thanks for posting

9. Susan M May 22, 2013

I love your blog, Miss P, and I’d rather my first post was a positive one, but you did ask our opinions!

I don’t like anything about these styles. The sheer panels really rub me the wrong way. I wouldn’t want to see anyone wearing an item of clothing with them, and I could never wear it either (I’m 63 and nobody wants to see it, even me). The lines would make anyone with any body fat look *awful*. The colors are dull and I don’t find the combinations at all pleasing.

I like the idea of creative use of color, though. People might want to check out from http://www.design-seeds.com/ for some unexpected color combinations. I subscribe to it, and it’s a great touch of beauty and wit in a small package.

• Miss P May 24, 2013

Aw Susan, your opinions are always welcome! I’m with you on the sheer panels in so much as they are used in a rather exposing way here. But one semi sheer band on sleeves could look cute. Or narrower organza ribbon bands on the hemline could work. I was more looking at the elements and thinking how I could adapt them to suit a different aesthetic, rather than reproducing any of the actual looks here. They’re far too over the top for me!
      With the colour combos….I find them too bold for my tastes. But the same colours in lighter shades….well that appeals to me!
      One of those dresses looks like a Mr Staypuft suit doesn’t it, lol?!

10. Helen May 22, 2013

I like this. I love the dress with the yellow flashes and one yellow sleeves.

I’m not sure how I feel about sheer panels. They can work, but not sure I like them like this. But that’s just me. I have a bit of a thing about cut outs in general, sheer or just “empty”. The colour blocking, however, I love.

• Miss P May 24, 2013

Ah the Mondrian meets Flash Gordon dress! Great isn’t it?!
      The sheers here are over the top in my view. But semi sheers used more sparingly or layered on top of solids could work….

11. Geminae May 23, 2013

I like the idea but I think the colors might be too loud for me. Maybe a dress like one of these with a neutral palette. I like the idea of changing up the textures but using the same shade of a color.

• Miss P May 24, 2013

My thoughts exactly. The colour groups work well, but for me they’d have to be toned down substantially. Kinda like desaturating the colour intensity from a photo!
      A combination of neutals and/or pastels (maybe some chambray?)would be fab! I like the idea of different textures too!

12. tifftoffee May 25, 2013

I love colour blocking… but I am also not big on the sheer panels. I too am not very confident with combining colour but I think colour blocked/solid colour coordinates are my favourite look, which is a nightmare!