Excited About… Me Made May 2013!

It’s that time of year again. The time when sewists the world over celebrate their acievements by proudly wearing their handmade garments every day in a bid to meet the challenge of….

Have you signed up yet? What do you mean no?! What are you playing at?! Get yourself over to Zoe’s blog right now and take the pledge!

Of course, if you’re anything like me, then by about week 3, you’ll be resorting to increasingly bizarre outfit combos in a bid to meet your self imposed criteria. And by about week 2 (for me anyway) the bigger challenge becomes actually photographing yourself daily. BUT, it’s a great challenge in so many ways…..

•  It shows you where the gaps in your handmade wardrobe are.
  • It kinda forces you to dig out everything handmade that you have in your arsenal, and re-evaluate it. Does it even work for you? Why on earth did you make THAT.
  • When you look at older handmade items, it can remind you how much you’ve improved since. (I think we all need to remind ourselves of that once in a while…since us sewists gravitate more naturally to self criticism than congratulations.)
  • It can help you to refine your choice of silhouttes. I don’t know about you, but looking back at photos of past challenges REALLY helped me to work out what suited me and more importantly….what absolutely DID NOT! Do you ever look at an outfit photo and thing “I’m sure that looked better in the mirror!” Me? All the time!
  •  I also tend to make more during a Me Made challenge than I otherwise would. At the start of the month I tend to think “yeah, piece of cake” then half way through I tend to whip up a few pieces to give me more options in the morning…right about the time a kind of low level panic sets in because I’m running out of outfit ideas!
  • I put alot more effort and thought into how I look during a Me Made month. Not only my outfits, but I’ll do my hair and make up every day. Whereas most weeks there’ll be a few days that see me doing the school run sans make up (sunglasses are an essential disguise to stop me scaring the other children), in a questionable outfit, and with slightly unruly orange hair. You’d think a simple bob would be simple to maintain wouldn’t you? Nope! My hair, when left to dry naturally is seriously scary. So a Me Made month just gives me the extra kick up the arse I need to put the effort in, which is no bad thing!
So with all that in mind, here goes me……
‘I, Portia of Miss P, sign up as a participant of Me-Made-May ’13. I endeavour to wear only handmade or refashioned clothes each day (excluding underwear, knitwear and coats)for the duration of May 2013. (So essentially, all my tops and trousers/skirts will be handmade)With no individual outfit repeated’

So I’m upping the anti a bit this year. No repeated outfits; which will hopefully push me into trying new combinations of the handmade pieces I have.

What about you? You taking part? Are you a first timer or a “veteran”? What have you learnt from past challenges and what does a Me Made challenge force you to do that you wouldn’t ordinarily do?

1. Mikelina April 16, 2013

This sounds like so much fun! I’ve never heard of it before but I am definitely in! Don’t think I can do it without repeats though. You’re braver than me!

• Miss P April 17, 2013

Ah, a convert! (cue evil laugh 😉 Not sure I can do it without repeats either Mikelina! Come the end of May we shall know 😉

2. Michelle April 16, 2013

I’m a lot excited and equally nervous to participate in Me-Made-May this year. It’s going to be my first time. I hope I can make it through the month. My goal isn’t nearly as ambitious as your goal is… but I’m not nearly as accomplished a sewer either. :-/

3. Claire April 16, 2013

I’m in! But I have yet to fully decide what my pledge will be. Rather excited by it.

• Miss P April 17, 2013

Just saw your pledge…nice one!

4. Helen April 16, 2013

Still swithering over this one. I love the idea, but I’m just not sure I have enough items to see me through, and I don’t want to start panic sewing, because I just don’t have the time. I probably do have enough individual items, but I will need to up the ante on my laundry to ensure I always have something clean to wear!

Although, as with all online sewing challenges, the more people I see signing up, the more positive I feel about it, so, actually, I probably will do it. There you are. Talked myself into it in 2 paragraphs. Why do I even bother resisting?

• Miss P April 17, 2013

Helen, you just made me giggle 😉

It’s still doable with less items. You could always whip up a simple gathered skirt or a couple of my kimono tees. They’re super quick to knock up. Literally 1 hour if I concentrate…I’m planning a couple more before May hits!

Or refashion a couple of bits….that counts!

• Helen April 17, 2013

Glad I made you laugh! 🙂 I will do my best to get a couple of more items before the 1st May.

I’d love to refashion something, but I am just useless. I just don’t see the potential that you do, and lack the creativity to come up with ideas. Something to aspire towards, I think!

5. Kestrel April 16, 2013

Good luck! I agree the photographing gets a bit tiresome, but it’s a fun challenge.

6. Jenni April 16, 2013

Having committed last week to my first time of 2 me made outfits a week with only fancy dress items completed, I knew I had a lot of sewing to do before May. Unfortunately I have now been made redundant! so I’m seeing this as fate giving me a helping hand time wise rather than anything else!! So here’s to sewing in April and having some items finished!! xx

• Miss P April 17, 2013

Dang! Bummer on the redundancy. Sorry to hear that 🙁 (it’s hit our household too). But way to go on finding the silver lining. Here’s to all that extra sewing time. I’ll drink to that….heck, I’ll drink to anything given half a chance!

7. Reana Louise April 16, 2013

I’m an excited first timer, and totally impressed by your ‘no repeat’ challenge! x

• Miss P April 17, 2013

Oooh, well done you! I’ll do my best on the “no repeat” front but it could mean some rather bizarre outfit combos down the line!

8. Emileigh Mimi April 17, 2013

I’ve never heard of this! How amazing! I don’t have quite enough handmade items to do that yet, but I do plan on sewing a bunch this summer, so maybe I’ll be up to participating next year! What an awesome idea!

• Miss P April 17, 2013

Hi Emileigh Mimi!
      Ahhh, another convert! Zoe usually runs one of these in September, so if you get stitching over the summer….;)