DIY: Deconstructed Sweatshirt Refashion

If you follow my facebook page you’ll know that I found this thrifted (Β£1.50) sweatshirt a while ago. I’d been looking for a suitable specimen for ages so when I came across this little minty green number (don’t ask me what happened in the photo on the left. It’s definately not turquoise) I thought it would make the perfect piece for a chilly Spring (which let’s face it, we’re stuck with!); and the other day I finally got around to giving it a new look…

One of the things that appealed to me about trying out a sweatshirt refashion was that the fabric doesn’t fray. No need for seam finishes or any of that hemming malarkey. Yay for that! So I decided to take full advantage of this fabric’s properties, and see how little sewing it would take to transform it (Lazy? Moi? Occasionally ;). I went for a slightly “de-constructed” look and let me tell you…it took under 10 minutes of actual sewing….kaBOOOM! So if that complete lack of effort appeals to you and you want to give this a go…here’s what I did:

1) Cut off the neckband ribbing
2) Cut off the hemline ribbing
3) Cut off the sleeves, then put on inside out and pin to fit on both sides.
4) Stitch new side seams and cut away excess close to the stitching line

I cut a slightly scooped hem too:

1) Establish the centre front line and use a pin to mark where you want the highest point of your hem to be
2) Fold the sweatshirt in half along the centre front, matching up the side seams (if you have them, but mine didn’t) and the hem line.
3) Using a curve if you need to, mark your new scooped hemline and cut. Make sure the first and last 3-4mm at least, are at right angles to the Centre Front and Centre Back respectively. This makes for a smooth curve with no peaks or indents on the centre lines.

When I tried it on at this stage I didn’t like the sleeve length. The original garment had a dropped shoulder (ie where the armhole extends past the shoulder slightly). Looking at the original shoulder seam, it occurred to me, that it was kinda where I like my shorter kimono style sleeves to sit anyway. So I literally just cut along that seamline to remove the excess sleeve…

That left me with enough fabric to add a little patch pocket detail to the front. Leaving the edges unfinished tied it in with the overall finish….

So…5-10 minutes of cutting, 5 minutes of fitting, under 10 minutes of sewing makes…..YEP!!!….a 30 minute project! Whip one of these up while the dinners cooking OR while your other half is hogging the bathroom/you are on hold with some crappy call centre/your little one is deciding which DVD he wants on/ (Delete as appropriate/relevant. Does that give you an insight into my day. lol? Yep, ALL of these things took 30 mins! And we wonder where the day goes! πŸ˜‰

1. MrsC (Maryanne) April 22, 2013

It’s gorgeous! I did this once to a really ugly sweatshirt I had to wear as part of a theatre group – the name was on the back so I cut the neckline to turn it around and cut a scoop back, cut off the sleeves, and it lasted me nearly 15 years.
    I sent you an email btw, which I suspect may end up in the lint catcher, as it has links in it! xo

• Miss P April 23, 2013

Yeah, I can see this lasting a while πŸ™‚
      Thanks for alerting me to your email. My spam filters did indeed junk it because of the links.
      Goody! I’ll have a look at those when I get a chance. Thanks Maryanne!

2. Amanda April 22, 2013

Loving a 30 minute project! This looks fab- what a bargain!

• Miss P April 23, 2013

Sometimes 30 minutes is all we have spare, lol!

3. Marie April 22, 2013

Genius! I especially love the colour of this little number ;o)

• Miss P April 23, 2013

Yummy colour isn’t it!

4. flossiejamieson April 22, 2013

Brilliant! I spent a good chunk of yesterday afternoon re-fashioning maternity clothes that I loved too much to sell or give away, and it was amazing how quick and satisfying it was. I will definitely be off to the charity shop for a sweatshirt so that I can try out your (much more comprehensive and well thought) ideas over mine. Top notch.

• Miss P April 23, 2013

Refashioning’s a great way to go when it comes to maternity clothes. They’re sooooo expensive for just a few months wear aren’t they?!

5. didyoumakethat April 22, 2013

Absolutely love this, Portia!

• Miss P April 23, 2013

Thanks Karen! Actually, I could see you rocking this style of sweatshirt…

6. Samantha Baldwin April 22, 2013

Super improvement

7. MJ April 22, 2013

Wow! This is fantastic! Thank you for sharing with us.

8. A.J.A. April 22, 2013

This is a very cute refashion! I, too, love the color. And can I just say that you look great?!?!?!?!

• Miss P April 23, 2013

Hi AJA! How are you? Oh, and thanks!!…yeah, I lost a bit of weight πŸ˜‰

9. Angela April 22, 2013

Cute! Love the color!

• Miss P April 23, 2013

Gotta love a minty pastel green πŸ˜‰

10. Becca April 23, 2013

Super cute! That color looks so good on you. What a fun and easy refashion!

11. Kate September 21, 2013

I just love these wonderful ideas! I’ve had a silkish pashmina, at least I think that’s what it is anyway, for a few years and it’s got very subtle shades of grey blue and I found it for like $10 somewhere. Right off the bat I wanted to do what you’ve done but instead it sits on the back of a chair waiting for it’s transformation. Maybe now I’ll do it. No fear, right?

12. jenn February 18, 2014

Just did this with a sweatshirt! I think the sweatshirt had a fleecy- thing going on in the inside because it does sort of fray at the bottom. Just did a straight stitch around the bottom and it should be fine. Love the cute pocket idea too! Thanks for the idea!! πŸ™‚

13. emadethis January 1, 2015

I love the shape of your new sleeve! And the pocket is a cute touch. After I made a quilted jacket out of an old sweatshirt, I’ve been on the hunt for good ones to refashion. It’s such a nice fabric to sew with and cozy to wear!