DIY: Giant Suede Tassle Key Fob

This is another of those projects that’s been rattling around in my head for ages. Since my summerhouse is no go at the moment with all of this cold weather (it is seriously cold in there) I’m not getting any sewing done. So am contenting myself with little creative projects I can do in the warmth of the house. Hence the tea and coffee dyeing and the little stitch markers. This is another really easy DIY using clothing weight suede I recycled from a skirt I found on the £1 rail at the charity shop….

Here’s what you’ll need….

1. Starting with a piece of suede measuring approx 16″ x  5″ draw a straight line approx 5/8″ down from the top, along the long edge, on the wrong side. Then use scissors to cut a fringe, all the way along the length of the suede. Up to to the line but not through it. I just eyeballed the width of my fringing. Cutting approx every 5mm.
2. Stitch the “eye” part of a hook and eye to the top left hand corner of the wrong side of your suede, so it pokes out of the top when you view it from the right side.
3. Blob some glue (glue gun or leather glue) along the uncut band, wrong side, and roll as tightly as possible, a couple of turns so the “eye” is sandwiched between the rolled suede.
4. Keep repeating this process along the length of the uncut top edge. Apply a bit of glue, roll a bit more etc etc
5. Keep going until it’s all rolled up, secure the cut edge with glue, removing any excess that may be visible.
6. Attach keyring/split ring to the “eye” loop, et voila!

I don’t know about you, but when I can’t sew for whatever reason, I simply HAVE to make SOMETHING.
Is it possible to be addicted to making? Are there  “Makers Anonymous” groups out there?

1. Evie Jones January 21, 2013

I need a glue gun…stat!

• Miss P January 27, 2013

He he! You make me laugh Evie!

2. Katy (Ioftheneedle) January 21, 2013

If there is don’t join, you’ve got some really good ideas! I’ve got some leather scraps that would be perfect but like Evie I too need a glue gun. Have you had any joy with turmeric dyeing? I really like the idea but wouldn’t know how to go about it x

• Miss P January 27, 2013

Hi Katy
      The turmeric idea is awaiting the perfect silk top before I try it out! I’m keeping my eye out every time I visit a charity shop 😉

3. joellestlaurent January 21, 2013

oh, never stop making! making is what keep me going too. or, also, planning makes. dreaming about things to MAKE. it’s hard to explain, but creating things fills me with joy. and there is something about the satisfaction of having made something with your own tow hands.

• Miss P January 27, 2013

You sound just like me. I go to sleep planning makes. I dreamed about crochet last night, lol!

4. Brenda January 22, 2013

This is a super looking key-ring and made with a smart idea to simply use an eye from a hook & eye. I think there are too many times when a craft can be over-thought and become too complicated. TOTALLY PERFECT!

• Miss P January 27, 2013

Yes, the “eye” was a bit of a eureka moment. My first incarnation of this make used a leather tab to attach the split ring to the tassle but it just looked too fussy for my liking. I think the eye gives it a cleaner finish. So THANKYOU!

5. dixie January 24, 2013

pinned! this is a cute project and i’m sure i’ve got some old suede/leather pieces i can use for this.

• Miss P January 27, 2013

Another Pinterest junkie! Hurrah!

6. kate dale February 12, 2013

What a smart and cute piece. You are really very generous with your ideas: I only found your blog last night and you have already inspired several fun ideas I want to chase. Thanks heaps!

• Miss P March 11, 2013

Aw Hi Kate! That’s really sweet of you. I guess making all this stuff in isolation would be dull without being able to share it with someone 🙂
      Do let me know how you get on!

7. Tina Pippo March 4, 2013

Wonderful tutorial! I loved the outcome!
    Great post!! I included it in my post Βόλτα στη Γειτονιά #24 🙂
    Have a great week!!

8. Emily March 5, 2013

This is a super tutorial. Thanks for sharing it!

• Miss P March 11, 2013

Emily, you are welcome; glad you like it 🙂

9. GoofingOff March 11, 2013

Love the fob….and a great idea for those thrift shop rescues.

• Miss P March 11, 2013

Hi GoofingOff
      Yes indeed! Still have some scraps from the suede skirt to play with too!

10. Rosa June 13, 2013

Cool ! I like it.

11. Tiffany S. August 1, 2013

Could this work with denim?

• Miss P August 1, 2013

Absolutely! Denim will fray whereas suede obviously doesn’t. You could either go with it; or perhaps use some fray check spray to keep it more intact?