FO – The Plum Pudding Tunic

Friends, we are skint at the moment! I have no shame in saying this. It is a simple statement of financial fact at the moment, not a reflection on our “value” as individuals! It is, without doubt, a situation that countless families are facing right now. J has yet to secure another job almost 3 months after being made redundant, and while we’re scraping by financially at the moment, there really isn’t room in our budget for me to go fabric shopping right now. Not being one to let a small detail like cash get in the way, I’ve been stash bustin’ instead….
I had this smallish piece of brushed cotton fabric in my stash. A little over a metre long and 45″ wide. I loved the snuggly texture and the plum shades seemed to me, to be perfect for Autumn and Winter. Just one question…what to make with it? The piece was too small to allow room for the placement of multiple pattern pieces. So I opted keep it simple and reached for my trusty self drafted “kimono” sleeve top; with a few variations….

I really squeeeezed this out of the yardage. I managed to cut the 2 main pattern pieces side by side across the width; as opposed to on the fold. I literally had a mm to spare, but I managed it by shortening the sleeves and keeping any ease to a minimum, until everything fit in across the width. I extended my original pattern to more of a tunic length and flared it slightly from the waist to accommodate hips/bum etc.

Construction is obviously really simple. The main change I made here, is that I flipped the facing to the outside to create a little interest around the neckline. I bound the outer edge of the facing before applying it to the neckline in reverse; so that it flipped through to the outside instead; a bit like you would a collar I guess. I then topstitched the facing down through the bias bound edge; so it’s a fixed detail rather than a collar flapping around.

The sleeve hems are bias bound to tie in with the neckline detail; and if you were to look really closely at the sleeve hems, you would see those teeny tiny holes you get along the selvedge. That’s how close a cut this one was peops! Barely enough fabric left from this to make a pincushion!

1. Sew little time October 1, 2012

so pretty. i love the colour and that neckline detail is lovely. great stashbust!

2. Kestrel October 1, 2012

Love that fabric and you did a great job with your layout to get such a nice tunic.

3. Elisalex October 1, 2012

Beautiful fabric! And there’s nothing like a bit of frugality to make one realise how little we actually need!

4. charlotte October 1, 2012

I loveit, the most wearable inspiring kinda thing I like. Well done you!

5. Marie October 1, 2012

Goes to show you don’t need to spend heap of money to look incredible and You Look Incredible! I love this tunic, especially the clever neckline detail!

6. Miriana October 1, 2012

A lovely tunic and you’re still looking stunning. I want your hair!

7. sewitanyway October 1, 2012

Such a pretty tunic, and putting the facing on the outside is a great design touch. And from your stash too- fabulous!

8. A.J.A. October 1, 2012

This fabric is really pretty- the colors look great with your coloring, and I love the neckline and sleeve trims you did.
    I figured out “skint” in context πŸ™‚ Right there with ya…It’s lucky for us we actually love thrifting and stashing!!!

9. Shelly October 2, 2012

Great stashbust! It just goes to show what you can do when money is tight.

10. johanna October 2, 2012

Love your kimono sleeve pattern! I made three of them myself, but this version of yours is super duper cute! You’re so good with details, which I’m not, so it’s very inspiring to read your blog.

11. House of Pinheiro October 2, 2012

That’s so pretty and great way to use creativity to get around the small yardage..

12. thesecretlifeofseams October 2, 2012

Those colours look fantastic with your hair. And I love the idea of flipping the neck facing to the outside.

13. Symon October 2, 2012

I feel for you – we’re in the same boat only it’s me who lost my job. Thank goodness for stashing eh? You look lovely, as always – way to make the most of a meter! Very inspiring! πŸ™‚

14. Roobeedoo October 3, 2012

Wow! You definitely get the prize for using every millimetre of fabric! I can’t believe that was just a metre of narrow fabric! And it is truly lovely too πŸ˜€ Especially with your hair that shape and colour – very flapper-esque! πŸ˜€

15. joen October 8, 2012

Love the colors for Fall! I too have been trying to use up my stash fabric. When the Vogue Fall patterns were released I selected my favorites then picked through my stash to see what I had on hand to use in a effort to budget my spending.

16. Sonia October 9, 2012

Such a lovely top Portia! Such a great use of the fabric you had and I’m guessing a very satisfying feeling to have squeezed it out of the yardage! Hope things turn around for you soon, Sx

17. Sewing Princess October 13, 2012

Love the top! The neckline detail is super and construction is just genious!