My Sewing Space – An easy way to store fabric…

My mission to overhaul my sewing space continues; and a project that has been long overdue is sorting through my stash of fabric. I’m probably about half way through it at the moment but thought I’d take the opportunity to share how I keep my fabrics neatly stored and stacked without causing a “fabric avalanche” every time I need to take a bolt of fabric out from the middle of the pile….!

To be honest, it’s not rocket science but this way of stacking means that my piles of fabric stack exactly onto my shelving and are much easier to access and move about too. Essentially I cut cardboard inserts to the dimensions of my shelving. In this case I want to fit 2 piles of fabric side by side on each shelf. So I divide the width of my shelf by 2. Then I deduct 1/2″ from this measurement to allow for the thickness of the fabric once it’s wrapped around the card. This will give me the width of my card insert. The depth of my card insert is the same as the depth of my shelf, but again with 1/2″ deducted to allow for fabric wrapping….

Then it’s as simple as wrapping the fabric around the card insert as follows….

Pin ย the loose edge in place and you’re done. I find this method quick and simple and it stops fabric from flopping about all over the place when it’s piled up, and it makes the fabric easier to move about and access. Plus I can see at a glance what I have, which avoids me going out and buying more fabric because I didn’t realise what I already had!
What’s your top storage or organisation tip for your sewing space?

1. Matilda August 23, 2012

What a great idea! I’m not very practical, I’d never have figured this out on my own, haha.

My stash isn’t very big yet, but neither is my flat so storage is a bit of an issue. At the moment I keep all my sewing things stashed away in a big basket. It’s great, except when I want something that’s hiding at the bottom.

• Miss P August 23, 2012

He he, yeah, and you can guarantee the thing you want IS at the bottom. It’s sods law!

2. Jane August 23, 2012

GENIUS!!!! I love this tip Portia and am going on the hunt for bits of cardboard immediately! Seriously, it’s perfect, thank you.
    My only tip is storing buttons in small jam jars from Lakeland Plastics. They’re a teeny tiny size and come with ready made gingham lids! x

• Miss P August 23, 2012

Ahhh, jam jars with gingham lids full of buttons…..perfection!

3. joellestlaurent August 23, 2012

That is genius! So simple but so perfect. I think I’d add pretty little tags pinned to the fabric to indicate the size of each piece… Oh so pretty stacks of fabric!

• Miss P August 23, 2012

What a fab idea! I’d need to set an afternoon aside to measure it all, but I like the idea of it. Hmmm, little luggage labels or something perhaps? Thanks joellestlaurent!

4. Sonia August 23, 2012

This looks beautiful Portia! I’m going to have to look into doing this. I have to say though that my husband just peeked over my shoulder and said that person’s got a fabric addiction AND OCD. Little does he know…..!!!!!

• Miss P August 23, 2012

Ha ha! I often wonder about that myself Sonia ๐Ÿ˜‰

5. Janice August 23, 2012

Great idea! But I’m wondering if creases will form on the fabric (like really stubborn creases?) I tend to roll up all my fabric.

• Miss P August 23, 2012

I guess it would depend on the fabric, but I’ve had fabric stored like this for well over a year and not had problems so far. Of course that may be just luck :/

6. Thrift Bee August 23, 2012

An organisational tip, that’s useful, effective, clever and free…. perfect….. just like your shelves of fabric.

7. Masustak eguzkitan August 24, 2012

WOW!!! Simple, easy and the result is spectacular. I´ve to write it, in my to do list. Thanks for sharing!!!!

8. stitchandwitter.com August 24, 2012

That is a super tip – I’m going to start doing this as soon as I get my hands on some cardboard!

9. Kylie August 24, 2012

Gosh you’ve been busy Portia. Great idea for keeping fabrics tidy, I might copy it for my vintage t.towels when I eventually get them out of storage. I love what you’ve done to your entertainment unit and your succulents/cacti look great too. Wow. Still no parcel from you, I’m afraid x

• Miss P August 24, 2012

Hey Kylie, thanks so much! I’ve sent you an email ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m getting seriously hacked off with Royal Mail! I might have to put a new parcel together.

10. Roobeedoo August 24, 2012

This looks like a fabric shop!
    At last – a new way to recycle cardboard instead of stacking it by the logburner waiting for a cold day!

11. Anonymous August 25, 2012

I think you need to get out more you super organiser you, AFFF x

12. vickikatemakes August 26, 2012

Genius! Mine is all ‘folded’ in plastic boxes, but this is much better and looks so pretty. I may have to blatantly copy this, hope that’s OK?

13. unpeudecouture August 27, 2012

it’s brilliant! thanks for sharing this, I never thought of measuring the shelf itself ๐Ÿ™‚ and congratulations for all the work you do in your house!

14. The Long & Winding Bobbin September 16, 2012

So neat and lovely, What a great idea! thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

15. Anonymous November 16, 2012

if you are planning to store the fabric for long, or if you are storing very fragile or antique fabrics, you should be sure to use acid-free cardboard.
    the other sewing-related tip i have: i frequently use store-bought patterns (and i have WAY too many of those!) and when i have made a garment from a pattern, i stitch a small swatch of the fabric on the pattern envelope, so when i am searching for a pattern to make again, it is easy to identify.
    emily

16. soisewedthis April 19, 2013

Just read this and now i’m going to have to refold all my fabric this weekend! Looks so much nicer than my messy stacks. So simple, but i wouldn’t have thought of that. Thanks!!!