Upcycled Coat Rack & Box Seat (with a story attached!)

No sooner had I got back from our holiday and bottled my Elderflower, than an email popped into my inbox that sent me scurrying around for the rest of the week; mostly tidying our house and garden, but also conceiving and gathering supplies for this upcycling project. The purpose of this project was to give an example of what’s possible (a simple hallway/mud room treatment) with a bit of old junk and some imagination, in an afternoon….while my usual self criticism is kicking in here (the box needs another coat of paint and the corners of the seat cushion need sorting out) I’m actually pretty happy with the whole concept and more or less happy with how it turned out. Given more time I would have given that extra coat of paint and restapled the fabric seat.  But the gist of what I was attempting has been satisfactorily expressed I feel…

The coat rack is made from timber salvaged from a pallet, repurposed drawer handles for coat hooks (salvaged from another project)  and cheap ikea brackets. The blanket box has had a foam cushion added to the lid and is covered in thrifted curtain fabric (about £1-2 worth as I have loads left…).

Here’s how in started out. A simple (if slightly battered) blanket box that I got from Freecycle and a pallet that I got from a kind man on our local industrial estate. Neither of these items cost me a penny and the aim was to show what it was possible to do on a very tight budget and in a very short space of time. So a bit of sanding, painting and drilling later I ended up with what you see above…

Now for the story part….

A few months ago I received an email from someone asking my views on thrifting, refashioning and upcycling. That person turned out to represent an indie TV production company. They liked my blog and what I had had to say, and would I be interested in meeting to discuss the possibility of fronting (yes you read that right!) a new show that they were putting together that has thrifting and refashioning at it’s core!! Whaaaaaaaat!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I HATE having my picture taken let alone have myself filmed for telly. But all of that pales into insignificance when presented with the opportunity to be involved in such a project. I’ve never been confident in how I look but I do have confidence in what I say and do, so in this instance I can work around my camera hatred!

So to cut a long story short, we spent Friday filming a trailer for the show,  which will now be re-pitched to a major UK TV Channel. The channel have previously been very positive about the format but vito’d the original presenter that was proposed to them. Which is why they came looking for me….so now the proposal has to go back to them but this time with me at the helm!

This is probably the most ridiculously exciting thing that has ever happened to me. The whole idea still feels vaguely surreal. But it really could happen. If they like the trailer and decide to commission the show, I really could be appearing on a TV screen in your living room! How bizarre would that be peops!!! I keep laughing when I think about it because the whole thing seems vaguely insane!

Now the filming is done all I can do is wait. I’m not good at waiting…especially with something this exciting….

1. Kestrel July 17, 2012

That’s amazing news Portia!! Congratulations! 🙂

2. Joanne July 17, 2012

OH MY GOD. That’s so exciting – I can’t believe it! How did you find presenting a programme – was it awesome/scary/amazing/all of the above? Can you tell us any more – I’m bursting to know!

• Miss P July 17, 2012

I could tell you more but I’d have to kill you…or they’d kill me!!
      Soon as I’m allowed I’ll tell all 😉

3. didyoumakethat July 17, 2012

That is unbelievably exciting! I’ve heard more than one story of people being approached by the wider media because of their blogs. I have absolutely everything crossed for you. Now, what is that Lord Sheraton stuff? I have a drop leaf table that I’m hoping to sand and paint and I haven’t a clue where to begin.

• Miss P July 17, 2012

Ok so my favoured technique is as follows:
      Sand, wipe with a rag soaked in white spirit, prime, paint, then finish with a furniture wax to protect the finish. That’s what “that Lord Sheraton stuff” is. It’s a mix of beeswax and linseed oil. I prefer the finish it gives over, say, clear varnish; and it helps to retain that hand painted feel whilst giving it a subtle sheen. For a really smooth finish I sand lightly between coats and use wet and dry sandpaper on the final coat, followed by the furniture wax 🙂
      Oh, and don’t be tempted to skip wearing a mask when sanding. I made myself really ill a few years back by doing that!

4. joellestlaurent July 17, 2012

Are you kidding!!!? This is SO exciting! Congratulations and godd luck for what is to come! Now I just whis i lived in the UK so i could see you in my TV-screen…

• Miss P July 17, 2012

Alot has to happen yet for it to come off, but I’ll defo put some clips up on here if it does!

5. Lizzie July 17, 2012

Wow, that’s incredibly amazing news. Can’t wait to here more when you can tell x

6. vickikatemakes July 17, 2012

How could they not love you?! I really really hope it all comes good for you!

7. Annabelle July 17, 2012

Oh my word, what exciting news! (I wasn’t expecting that as I started reading through this post). I absolutely love your coat rack as it reminds me of the stuff I see in Pottery Barn catalogs for $$$$. Actually, I was hoping to have something like that it my house (once I buy one) for our kids (once we have them). Now that I see how delightful yours turned out, I will be looking to make it rather than buy it. Keep us updated on how this whole TV show plays out 🙂

8. Sonia July 17, 2012

Oh wow – no wonder you’re giddy! How exciting! Love the repurposing you’ve done too….I’ve got one of those toy boxes upstairs.Ummmmmm…..!!!

9. Marie July 17, 2012

Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God! This is incredibly exciting Portia, like crazy exciting! I’m sure your knowledge, manner and generally everything about you, will wow the UK TV producers (I used to work on UK TV Food and Dave back in my London days!). I have everything crossed for you and I’m so happy that you’re getting to experience something like this through your wonderful blog!!!

10. theperfectnose July 17, 2012

Yea rockstar! You’ve arrived! Congratulations! Now put on something trashy and head out with a yoga mat and big sunnies so the paparazzi’s can spread the news XD

11. Jane July 17, 2012

‘Oh My God!!!! I’m so thrilled for you Portia, I can’t think of anybody more perfect to present this kind of show. Sending you lots of good luck over the blogosphere. xx

12. lladybird July 17, 2012

UMMMM That’s pretty exciting!!! Fingers crossed for you :DDD

13. Crab July 18, 2012

Congratulations!! Very well-deserved.

14. Thrift Bee July 18, 2012

Nice One! Wishing you the very best of luck with that.

15. Magpie Mimi July 18, 2012

Congratulations and Good Luck! Finger’s crossed I’ll see you on the telly soon! 😉

16. Sew little time July 18, 2012

wow – that is so exciting! fingers crossed it comes off. love your projects, especially the coat rack!

17. mister r July 21, 2012

Such awesome news! Now, to think of a cunning way to slip http://www.housekeys.co.uk into one of your show’s :p

• Miss P July 21, 2012

“Mister r”, for the record, is Miss p’s brother! (Who just happens to be spamming his own sister’s blog, and subtly taking the piss out of my “nom de plum” lol!)