Nifty Tip – No Bias Maker? No Problem!

I’m working on a refashioning project at the moment and needed some slightly wider bias tape than my bias maker could make. Buggar I thought. I really didn’t want to waste time trapsing into town on the off chance that the meagre haberdashery section of our local hardware store might have a bias tape maker in the size I need, if at all. I was on a roll. I needed that bias tape NOW!! Then, somewhere from the dark recesses of my mind I remembered this little trick…..

I had to fold and press the first inch by hand (mind your fingers on that iron!) Then the pin acts as a makeshift guide, pinned snug to the width of the bias you are making. Then you pinch the sides of the bias strip together centrally just before the pin, just to keep things even and steady; pressing as you pull it through the other side.
I cannot take credit for this little stroke of genius. I read it somewhere, on someone’s blog (for the life of me I can’t find it again  now) about 2-3 years ago, and it’s been sat unnoticed in my memory banks until just the moment when I needed it, when it popped up with a cheery little “here I am!”. You gotta love how helpful the dark recesses of your mind can be!
Incidentally you can check out an easy way to make bias strips here; and if you think it was your blog/tutorial that provided me with this genius little trick, please do contact me so I can provide you with proper credit and a link 🙂

1. Clare June 16, 2012

Oh my gods, this is a genius tip! Thank you so much for this (and thanks to whoever originally came up with it!). How useful and money-saving!

2. A.J.A. June 16, 2012

Was it this blog http://creativelittledaisy.typepad.com/creative_little_daisy/2007/11/diy-version-of.html ?
    That’s where I first read about it. I remember because I didn’t have any bias tape maker forever, and I referred to it many times! It is a great tip!

3. Lisa June 16, 2012

That does indeed look like a genius tip. Thank you for sharing.

4. Elisalex June 16, 2012

Genius! This is how I do it too – sooooo much easier than those annoying bias makers! x

5. House of Pinheiro June 16, 2012

loving the nifty tips series x

6. Erica Louise June 17, 2012

Nice tip!!

7. To Boldly Sew June 17, 2012

Oh that is a GREAT tip and it looks like it might be way more successful than my rather useless bias tape gadget which I have never yet used with good results!

8. Symon June 18, 2012

genius!!! I recently went looking for a smaller bias tape maker than the one I have, to no avail; what a brilliant trick – thanks!! 😀

9. Tasha June 19, 2012

THANK you! Where was this tip last summer when I needed 1″ bias tape and only had a bias tape maker for 1/2″ and did it all the harder way by hand, cursing the entire time? lol

10. Kessem June 30, 2012

I remember seeing this on a site as well! (I can’t remember where either). I tried this and it didn’t work very well for, the creases keep moving and I had to keep adjusting it. I finally gave up. Oh well I just bought a few bias tape makers, hopefully they’ll do the job for me

11. Sarah Smith April 15, 2013

I am blown over. That’s so clever! It’s always the simple things that are the most impressive. I’ve been pricing bias binding makers. I think I’ll eventually invest, but for now this’ll do fine! Thank you so much!

Sarah x

12. sneha rai November 14, 2013

Today nifty tip
    BUY RELIANCE INFRA 420 CALL ABOVE 10.00 TG- 11.00/12.50/14.50 SL- 7.80
    Best nifty option tips provider
    Nifty Tips on mobile by SMS

13. sneha rai November 14, 2013

Today most accurate intraday tip
    RES1:10800 RES2:10970
    SUPP1:10480 SUPP2:10290
    STRATEGY- SELL ON HIGH
    Best nifty option tips provider
    Nifty Tips on mobile by SMS

14. Cherilynne August 15, 2017

My grandmother taught me to use safety pins to do a similar trick. One was pinned like you have your straight pin, and the other was a little away from it to help guide the material like the manufactured makers do. She used the older safety pins. They are bent a little different and so have a curve to them. I have cut and bent aluminum pie tins to be my shapes too.