Fabric heaven and a chance encounter….

If you are based in the UK anywhere near London,  I’ll bet you can probably guess where these pictures were taken. Roll upon roll of gorgeous silk crepe at rock bottom prices…

Piles of Dupion and sand washed silk stacked high…

Of course it’s the fabric mecca that is Goldhawk Road…

I had a rare “day off” from mummy duties last week. The weather was beautiful (look at that deep blue sky!!) and I introduced one of my very good friends to the wonders of Goldhawk Road. She was suitably stunned and impressed by the volume and variety of bargainous fabrics that it had to offer….

We went at a very civilised pace and stopped for a coffee to fondle our repective purchases in the privacy of a local cafe πŸ˜‰

I was pretty restrained but still spent more than I had intended, but that’s what Goldhawk Road can do to a gal I guess! This lightweight drapey viscose (yes viscose but not the nasty kind!) is destined to be the first top I draft as part of our Top Draftalong (next post is imminent, I promise Winnie!)….(Β£4.95/m)

This pastel stripe, medium weight, cotton seersucker is another matter. No firm ideas yet. Any suggestions wholeheartedly welcome! (Β£4.99/m)

Top is a small silk remnant destined for a college project. (Β£6/m)
Middle is a cotton linen blend for a simple self drafted tunic idea I had. (Β£3.99/m)
Bottom is a gorgeous lightweight pure wool.( Haggled to Β£6/m) If the grey tunic works out well, it will probably end up as another variation of that…

The day also resulted in one of those random occurrences that has you scratching your head and thinking somone “up there” has had a hand in it. Serendipity. Know what I mean? A chance encounter with a complete stranger. We both thought that we recognised eachother, but we couldn’t fathom any possible connection that meant we might have met before. She turned out to be an author. Sewing and crafting (among other things) funnily enough. I happen to write a blog about sewing and crafting among other things. We talked briefly about her book and my blog and I passed her my details. I had a lovely email that evening, and a beautifully wrapped package arrived at my home today. The details of which I shall share with you very shortly! Suffice to say, I’m pretty excited!!
Oh, and the picture on the right is especially for Karen…just in case you were wondering!

1. zilredloh April 2, 2012

WOW! One can only dream of so many silks…. I’m going to have to put this place down in the books for a place to visit when I’m in the UK.

Sounds like you had a lovely day. πŸ™‚

• Miss P April 3, 2012

Oooh, you absolutely must Zilredloh! Bring a spare suitcase, lol!

2. Gwenan April 2, 2012

I went to Goldhawk Road last week and the woman behind the counter (owner?) in classic textiles said they’re going to court in May to defend themselves against the demolition/housing plans, so it could be time to round up some more signatures… http://www.fehrtrade.com/article/516/save-goldhawk-road-update

When I heard, I thought “I wish I had a blog”!

• Miss P April 3, 2012

I know, isn’t it just like local councils to plan such madness!? I have linked to the petition in the post, but thanks for highlighting it here in the comments section also πŸ™‚ You can also join their facebook page or find them on Twitter I believe, so you could spread the word like that too πŸ™‚

3. lakaribane April 2, 2012

I’m in love with that seersucker!!! You NEED to play with the stripes: chevrons, horizontal pocket flaps over vertical pockets etc.

I’ve been meaning to make V1086 in a striped seersucker myself:

And there’s V8648:

If you have the Burdastyle Sewing Handbook, they have an A-line tunic with chevrons, horizontal and vertical stripes.

I made a Burdastyle shirtdress last year from the April 2010 issue IIRC and the back yoke, I cut horizontal.

Since your fabric is medium weight, mabe a jacket with a few chevron details like in the collar, pocket flaps or even cutting part of the princess seams (if you make one) on the bias?
    I’m sure there are others.

• Miss P April 3, 2012

Wow Lakaribane
      Lot’s of food for thought! Am off to checkout those patterns right now and love the idea of using the stripes directionally!
      Thanks so much πŸ™‚

4. Sarah April 3, 2012

Looks like a fabulous day out!

• Miss P April 3, 2012

Just perfect Sarah πŸ™‚

5. Melizza April 3, 2012

You took some gorgeous photos! Last time I was there I scored some Liberty for £9.50 per meter. i was quite proud of my haggling. Trust me, I usually suck at it.

• Miss P April 3, 2012

Aw thanks Melizza! Nice to hear from you! I’m not usually a haggler either but something about G’Hawk Rd brings it out in me πŸ˜‰

6. didyoumakethat April 3, 2012

Ha, ha – great! My first Paddington Pledger. I’m so proud of you, Portia. The fabrics you bought look SO lovely – you have great taste. I’m dying to go back to Goldhawk Road. And I can’t wait to find out more about this serendipitous meeting with an author.

7. Kathy April 3, 2012

Hey, that’s spooky – I bought the same butterfly print viscose on Saturday (from the shop next to A-One fabrics, can’t remember its name)! Isn’t it lovely? I’m going to have a go at turning it into a sundress (New Look 6557). I love Goldhawk Road soooo much. A friend and I drove there and it only took us 45 minutes from South Bucks where we live. Which shop did you get the grey cotton/linen blend fabric from? I asked in A-One if they had any and they didn’t πŸ™ Absolutely love the stripy seersucker too. I bought some multi-coloured stripy cotton but prefer your seersucker version – rats! Have fun sewing up all your fabric.

8. frk.bustad April 4, 2012

I love Goldhawk Road… Normally I would travel to London at least once a year, and spend a whole day in the area. I haven’t been there the last year, and I’m really missing it!

9. Scruffybadger April 5, 2012

I am a bit late catching up with my reading & my heart skipped a bit when I read this particular post!! Not only Goldhawk Road reminiscing, but mention of your first top for the draftalong! Whooopeeeee!!!

10. Gail April 8, 2012

I travelled all the way from Sydney to Goldhawk Road in January. My only crime…I didn’t buy more.