Let some bygones be bygones….

I, like many of us, am an avid fan of most things vintage. But these advertising snippets had me appreciating that whilst today we can pick and choose the best bits from whichever era we choose….SOME aspects are best left firmly in the past..I just had to share…Hilarious….;)

Personally, I exist to cook and clean for my man and find nothing more arousing than a packet of B&H being blown in my face…..

I hope Santa brings me a scrubbing brush and a years supply of Flash too….and yes ladies, marigolds and the smell of disinfectant are surefire ways to boost your cuteness…who knew?

Hmmm…….

Under the guidance of advice like this, you too can impress your health visitor….

and nurture your child’s self esteem….

with advice from menfolk such as these….

1. Sarah October 1, 2011

LOL! Portia these are fantastic! Love love love the “blow in her face” one!

2. Louise October 1, 2011

I….., um….. well…. beer for babies?!…., guns….. Ok officially speechless!

3. vickikatemakes October 1, 2011

Whaaaaaa???
    If I ever lay on the floor and gaze lovingly at my hoover, someone section me. But if it’s one of my girls in the sewing room, well, that’s normal isn’t it?!

4. Erica Louise October 1, 2011

Brilliant, you had me laugh out loud!!!

5. Marie October 1, 2011

Wow, these are incredible! My favourite too is the cigarette one! I can’t believe that they were ‘acceptable’ back in the day, a perfect example of the fact that things have moved on in a good way. Still can’t beat ‘the old days’ fashion wise though ;o)

6. Casey October 1, 2011

rofl!!! I love old ads for just these reasons! Sometimes they crack me up–especially ones about housewives (and this coming from someone who is a bit geeky about homemaking–I do love it 😉 wanting cleaning stuff for Christmas! *sigh* How times have changed–and yet I wonder what people will say about ads now in 50-70 years? (I can guess a few things already!)

7. Dorothy October 1, 2011

These are all incredible – especially the give your baby soda one. My grandmother was convinced that Guiness was good for nursing mothers, so I guess we had that kind of advertising in the UK as well

8. Valerie S. October 1, 2011

Omg so funny. Thanks for starting my day with a giggle!

9. Magpie Mimi October 1, 2011

Guiness is still advised to nursing mothers as it’s full of iron, but they only advise a small amount.

I do love the last ad, treat yourself this Christmas…wonder whether it increased murder/suicide rates that Christmas???

10. Marybeth October 1, 2011

So funny!

11. A.J.A. October 1, 2011

Yeah, blow it in her face, and she’ll follow you anywhere, wait for you to turn your back, and clobber you over the head with something! Oooops! That’s me! These ads are pretty hilarious. It’s weird how the homemaker advertising sort of ruffles my feathers even though I am okay with being an at home mom who likes to cook, organize, and pretty things up. I guess I just like getting credit for doing my part for the family and don’t feel the need to pretend it is all a breeze! Anyway, I have a pattern from the 60s for a little girl’s dress that says on the front that it is NOT SUITABLE FOR CHUBBY GIRLS!

12. Mercy October 1, 2011

Just fab, thank you

13. Pepper October 1, 2011

These are spectacular! Where on earth did you find them? XD Thanks for sharing! I love the one about crying so that your husband will buy you what you want.

14. Reverse Clothing October 1, 2011

Can’t…stop…laughing…
    to think people took this stuff seriously at one point. Or maybe advertisers were just as out of touch with most people as they are today.

15. Crafty Mama October 1, 2011

Oh my goodness, that was a laugh that I needed. As an American, I’m pretty appalled at the soda for babies one, but not at all surprised. And the gun one still holds true for most people here. (I’m in Texas) Murder/suicide rates aren’t up because of legal gun ownership, so it isn’t too worrisome…

16. Annabelle October 1, 2011

This is hilarious and I love your commentary – makes it all the more entertaining 🙂

17. Tilly October 2, 2011

Oh lordy! The chubby kids clothing is something else…

18. Anonymous October 2, 2011

I wish more home sewers would keep those images in mind when they do their 50/60s retro fantasy of being a happy “seamstress.”

19. The Knitted Brief October 2, 2011

These are great! Thanks for posting !

20. didyoumakethat October 2, 2011

Ha, ha, ha – where did you FIND these? Wives – just cry a little. Classic and terrifying – thank god it’s all become a joke.

21. Paunnet October 2, 2011