Restyle # 23 – Wide Leg to Tapered Trousers

I apologise if my refashioning posts are somewhat “safe” at the moment. There’s no show stoppers here I’m afraid. I’m just on a bit of a roll expanding on my wardrobe basics for Autumn! I currently have neither the funds for a shopping spree, nor the time for several “from scratch” sewing projects. So refashioning is my current weapon of choice…:)
These are some trousers that I thrifted for £1 last year. Nice light to medium weight drapey linen mix and really comfy on the waist and hips. I’ve already had a decent amount of wear out of these. So despite the fact that they’re  so long that they are now suffering from FHS (Frayed Hem Syndrome 😉 where they have swept the floor behind me as I’ve walked, and the original hook and eye closures have given up the ghost, these trousers still had potential. So I came up with this….

The first thing I did was to add button holes and some buttons from my stash to the waistband. I actually prefer these to the original fastenings, so happy days there.
Then I hacked off the hems and put them on inside out to assess the fit and shape without the distraction of all that fabric pooling around my feet.
Then I pinned out a general shape in the mirror and followed the same process as in my previous post.

I LOVE my new trousers and much like my powder blue ones, I can see these being used in heavy rotation in my winter wardrobe. Even better, I think these will transition perfectly into Spring too. The colour is so versatile. It will tone with the more autumnal colours I have in mind for the next few months but work equally well with pastels and other lighter colours come the Spring. Plus the fabric is light enough to be worn layered with tights (oooh, there’s a debate. Tights under trousers. Yea or Nay??) for the winter and on their own on warmer days.

The last couple of Self Stitched challenges have really got me analysing my wardrobe, how I choose what to sew or buy, and how I put things together. For the first time in my life I’m actually planning my wardrobe ahead of time. Sheesh! Check me out!
What have you been planning and scheming about? Sewing or otherwise! Fess up!

1. Becky September 22, 2011

I don’t think there’s any need to apologize for non-drastic refashions. Sometimes all a garment needs to go from so-so to spectacular is a little tweaking. And I know for me, it’s easy to get so caught up in wanting something new that I often don’t bother with repairing what I already have. So keep them coming. Some of us need the encouragement. 😉

2. Stephanie Lynn September 22, 2011

I do tights under trousers, though usually if I’m wearing boots of some kind. But they can look like knee socks for foot bearing shoes. I also do leggings under pants when it’s really cold! I do a lot of walking so being warm is important to me!

3. Kestrel September 22, 2011

I do like your trouser restyles – you’re certainly the Queen of restyling, very inspiring! (ooh that was a bit of a rhyme there!:) )

4. Hearthandmade September 22, 2011

these are amazing! what a good job

5. Miss P September 23, 2011

Aw, thanks Becky. You’re right, it’s easy to have your head turned by more “exciting” projects but I’m finding this process of building my basics really satisfying 🙂

Stephanie Lynn, I know what you mean about the sock look!

Kestrel, you’re a poet 😉 Thankyou! After last weeks showstoppers this all seems a bit bland but I totally LOVE the way these trousers have come out.

Aw Claire, thankyou so much. How’s your dressmaking coming along?

6. A.J.A. September 27, 2011

I’m just home from Maine and my sister’s wedding today. I need to get cracking on the fall wardrobe planning. I think this is perfect- it really does make so much sense to take a look at what you already have. It’s certainly cheaper, and there’s a reason you bought the items in the first place, right? I set aside a few things for refashion attempts last week, but I might have to peruse your archives before I get to sewing!

7. dixie September 30, 2011

I agree with the others, sometimes it doesn’t take much to turn a ho-hum garment into something great and I am in need of ways to make an old pair of jeans seem less frumpy so this is great inspiration!

And I know what you mean about trying to make clothes that you need to fill out your wardrobe. I’m trying to stock my closet with easy to wear dresses for winter and sewing up some new blazers.

8. Anonymous November 7, 2011

i do only the thick, wooly tights under trousers. you can’t even tell that i’m wearing tights, because these look exactly like wearing kneesocks. effect: i’m wearing tights but noone will know that !